Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

CL 2.3 Cat forward exhaust on 6th gen Accord Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Default CL 2.3 Cat forward exhaust on 6th gen Accord Sedan

Anyone ever try this? The CL 2.3 exhaust is a 4-2-1 with a cast iron header which has to be better than my stock manifold, and is available aftermarket fairly cheap (similar setup used on some 5th gen Accords and older Odysseys). Problem is the 2-1 headpipe connects to the cat (also different) with a short intermediate pipe with different connections than I have on my 6th gen. It “appears” that the headpipe from a 97-01 Prelude would work, but just going by pics, not actual measurements and these are not as common or cheap as the CL headpipe.

Other possible issues is that the flex joint on the CL is behind the silencer, as opposed to the headpipe, and of course O2 sensor locations are different.

I’m interested in a low dollar bolt-in using factory parts if possible (meaning no aftermarket tube headers), so interested in your thoughts.

Here is a link to a pic of the manifold:
http://www.directauto.com/category-e...rch_year/1999/

See attachment for pics of the different cars I mentioned above. Pics courtesy of Bosal.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8696/CFD888E26F6242219DEDAA739D5D29B5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Default RE: CL 2.3 Cat forward exhaust on 6th gen Accord Sedan

No bites huh? Not even a "what the heck are you thinking?" or "just suck it up and put on headers" ? Hmmm.....

Old 06-26-2007, 01:39 PM

I thought about biting on this one a while back but I thought someone with a little more expertise may be able to offer some more educated advice than mine. My thoughts are: Why not just buy a header? I'm sure a header would perfom better and weigh less. We sure don't need any more weight on these things. I do see your point and it looks like a decent cost effective idea, but if you have to go switching out cats and relocating your O2 sensor, I think a bolt on header would be far less trouble and maybe even more cost effective in the long run. I'm gonna get an OBX when I get the extra $ cause they only run around $160 shipped off of eBay. Of course, if you live in California, thatOBX not an option if you want to be legal.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. Here are my concerns (or reluctance)with tubing headers:

1. Auto Mfg's don't use cast iron manifolds 90% of the time by accident: It is inexpensive, quiet, easy to seal and very durable, i.e. low maintenance. I agree that the trade-off is weight and lower efficiency.

2. The flex joint in the headpipe, as well as the tubing to flange welds are areas of potential weakness to me (damage, leaks, noise, etc.) particularly with an non-DC Sports brand, and Idon't have the budget for DC Sports (though I don't live in CA).

I don't think installing a header would be a big deal, as everything is pretty accessible and there appears to be enough room for them (try installing them on an American V-8 engine!) but the last thing I want is to have leaks or noise or CEL issues. Granted I could still get CEL issues with the Acura CL setup I described, but IF the were parts available for a mostly bolt-in arrangement, I would feel much more confident that I could install and forget, whereas with tubes I think I would have to keep messing with them.