Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

OBX Header Facts

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default OBX Header Facts

Mods, you may want to sticky this.

Thinking of buying OBX headers but dont know much about them? Well lucky for you, this will prove to be informative!
This is based off of experiences with my OBX ss headers for my 97 4dr LX 4cyl Auto

Quality:
The quality of the headers are excellent. They have thick strong welds and have not cracked. The flange is also surprisingly thick for a cheaper header. I was very pleased.

Fit:
Perfect except for one minor thing, the 02 sensor. With my OBX headers my original 02 sensor was stuck so I had to buy a new one. In order for the 02 sensor to reach, the point where the 02 sensor wires connect to the connector had to be detached from a clip on the engine. Not a big deal, but it barely is long enough. Also note I used an aftermarket Bosch 02 sensor, so the length of the wires may vary.

Price:
I payed $177 w/ shipping, though I have seen them for $160

Gaskets:
Average quality. You may find other posts about my experience with the gaskets. I would definitely recommend getting better gaskets before installing them. You can go to Advance Auto/Auto Zone and use a gasket meant for the stock manifold. I would recommend getting the gasket that is metal with raised lips. As for the gasket where the two pieces meet, I have only seen them on Summit Racing or you may create your own as I did.

Maintenance:
I cannot stress this enough. After getting your headers installed, you MUST tighten the bolts AT LEAST once a week for about 2 months, or until the bolts stop loosening by themselves. If you fail to do this they will blow out as I experienced, and changing them isnt the most fun thing to do. When tightening the bolts that are connected to your engine block make sure the engine is completely cooled off to prevent the studs from stripping out because the engine block is aluminum. Failure to wait until it cools may cause the studs to strip out and you wont be able to tighten the headers to the engine block.

My experience with the gaskets. They blew out after 8 months, threw a check engine light, my gas mileage was about 12-15 mpg. I had to buy a new gasket where the headers meets the engine, replaced it, then found out the 2 pieces of the headers also leaked so had to retake that apart as well.
If you cannot find the gasket where the 2 pieces of the headers meet here is what I did.

Materials:
Old gasket
Sharpie
10x10 sheet of Mr. Gasket gasket
Strong box cutter/scissors
Patience
Red High Temp silicone

-When replacing gaskets, make sure to clean the metal where the flanged meet with a strong cleaner, but be careful where it ends up. For all the flanges I used brake cleaner to remove the black soot. Be sure to use caution if using that.
-Trace the old gasket on the Mr Gasket sheet (making sure that it is flat and no pieces will stick out, disturbing the flow of exhaust gases)
-Cut it out
-Line both sides of it with the red high temp silicone
-Tighten the two pieces until the silicone oozes out
-Let sit an hour
-Completely tighten
-Re tighten as needed

As always, I take no responsibility for any injury or accident or any other thing b/c of this guide.

Here are two pictures. One is showing how tightly the o2 sensor is stretched. The other shows the two pieces of the header and the red silicone sticking out.

I hope this helps! Please let me or other members know if you need more assistance!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/D21997AE41574EA5A9518EBAEDEB8986.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/25DC7AEA75AA43CD89B43A05F047B827.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Administrator
Default RE: OBX Header Facts

Thank You for the post on these OBX headers..
WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-21-2007, 11:49 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Not a problem!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:26 PM

do most headers have the o2 sensor in only one primary? (as apposed to having it where they collect, getting a reading from all cylinders together)

Old 05-22-2007, 05:02 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

On mine it has it at both places

Old 05-22-2007, 05:52 PM

hey , i have an 97 accord SE auto too , can you post the link where u purchased the headers from ?do they really make a difference in power and mileage ?

did you change the exhaust system too or no ?

Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I bought them from eBay. I forget the seller, sorry but there are many listed. I def. noticed a diff. in power and mileage although I installed the cat back exhaust at the same time. It wasnt a mind blowing power increase but it was def. noticeable and nice. Any power incresae on a 4 banger is always a big plus!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 PM

I'm surprised it wasn't a bit more mindblowing... but mindblowing might be different to you an me... i'm think mindblowing is shaving off a second from 0-100... and extra 15-20 horsepower and 15-20 torque... that is with headers, exhaust and short ram

Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

lol

Well it was definitely noticeable! I liked it very much and would do it again! I already had the intake on for a few months so it was just the headers and cat back. I really would like to drive a stock 97 lx and see the difference!

Old 05-23-2007, 05:59 PM

I just want to add for anyone reading this that I have reasonable automotive skills and I could not do this...I could not remove the o2 sensor or any of the bolts attacking the old head to the block... I did not want to spend money on new parts so I am just getting it professionally done (hopefully they run into no problems). I look forward to hearing the mechanic's experience. But I warn you now, this may be a bolt on part but a very difficult one to install! Do not attempt unless you are absolutely sure you can do it!

Quick Reply: OBX Header Facts