Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Exhuast Resonator Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Default Exhuast Resonator Removal

I have a 2001 Honda Accord i4, 5 spd, and i was looking to get some more sound out of it. I don't want to be to loud and go overboard. I am taking my intake resonator out when replace my front bumper, and was wondering if anyone has taken the exhaust resonator out and kept the exhaust piping all stock? I am curious of how it would sound, i don't want my car to sound like a fart cannon lol. I'm keeping the entire exhaust stock I am only removing the resonator for like 50 bucks. So if anyone knows how it will sound please let me know.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Not really sure....can you take a sound clip "before" and one "after". I'm thinking/guessing there will be a "drone" noise at steady driving speed???? But that is just a guess.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

As a general rule, resonators don't make the exhaust quieter, all they do is change the frequency of the resonance of the exhaust. I've never ridden in a car comparable to yours with the resonator removed, however, if I had to bet, I'd lay odds poorman212's comments regarding an annoying drone developing during steady state driving, is spot on.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
As a general rule, resonators don't make the exhaust quieter, all they do is change the frequency of the resonance of the exhaust. I've never ridden in a car comparable to yours with the resonator removed, however, if I had to bet, I'd lay odds poorman212's comments regarding an annoying drone developing during steady state driving, is spot on.
So what do you give me....2 to 1 I've got .50. I try not to bet more than the cost of a cup of coffee at work. Anyone want to take that bet?

But really, you can try a straight pipe, if the noise/drone is such that it really gets to you.....try something like the old cherry bomb mufflers in place of it????? Just an idea, I don't know how that will work out?

Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
So what do you give me....2 to 1 I've got .50. I try not to bet more than the cost of a cup of coffee at work. Anyone want to take that bet?

But really, you can try a straight pipe, if the noise/drone is such that it really gets to you.....try something like the old cherry bomb mufflers in place of it????? Just an idea, I don't know how that will work out?
Around my office the maximum bet is a whopping $.05.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the cheap coffee is only .25 but I had to move to the bets to .50 as I'm one of the few that drinks the cheap stuff. I still go thru ~$2 a day in coffee.

OP - Sorry for all of this, please don't take any of it the wrong way. We try to have a little fun with each other when we can....none if this is towards you or what you are wanting to do.....Thanks

Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM

haha i certainly do not take this the wrong way i am a man who enjoys his coffee as well. Thanks for the comments and thoughts though, i will take a before and after sound clip though, since its only 50 bucks i will probably get it done and give you guys an update so others will know if it works or not. Hopefully it works and isn't to ricey lol

Old 04-07-2013, 12:46 AM

hey guys i thought i would give you an update, today i took out my intake resonator and it sounds perfect. It has a nice deep tone to it and is a little louder and more aggressive sounding. I decided not to remove my exhaust resonator out of fear of sounding to ricey lol. If anyone want to improve sound for cheap this was free, just remove front bumper and the intake resonator should be on the passenger side under the air filter just 2 bolts to undue and it falls off pretty much.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Problem solved..da da

Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Before and After Intake Resonator Delete - YouTube
heres a quick video i made of the difference in sounds, its not as noticeable on video but when i get my car back from the shop i promise a better video will be up

Quick Reply: Exhuast Resonator Removal