Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Exhuast Resonator Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Funny, I was just about to post a question on resonators and I saw this thread.

I put a flowmaster muffler on my ebay exhaust, the exhaust does the job, its just crap when it comes to the sound. Im not too sure if it even has a resonator. Theres a point where the metal is woven but I think thats only for flexibility.
And the flowmaster didnt do too much for the drone. When I replaced the cat with a magnaflow the sound got more aggressive- not a bad thing but Id like highway rides to be enjoyable and sound deadening didnt work too great.
I read that a short resonator is to cancel out high RPM and a long one is for low RPM.

For my car, would it be smart to buy a 14" straight through resonator and weld it on after the cat? Or am I better off trying more sound deadening?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

What most people are calling a resonator is in the middle of the car. The exhaust pipe gets fatter roughly below the handbrake lever.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Yeah, Im thinking about a resonator. I should take a pic of the exhaust so you see. There is a thick part at the bend at the catback but its a metal mesh that I think is just for flexibility. If it is a resonator its for higher rpm if I understand right.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 PM

I found a dynomax glasspack muffler with great reviews. I'm gonna ask my mechanic. They did a great job about welding on my new flowmaster, Ill see what is suggested.
I'm thinking a 20" glasspack between the muffler and cat converter to reduce the drone I get without reducing the flow.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:48 PM

Just an update, i just recently got an AEM cold air intake and it is perfect. Its very loud and sounds very nice, i know the original post i was asking about exhaust but i was juts trying to get a better and meaner sound out of my car and it has been achieved i recommend this mod to anyone with this model accord, it sounds great