Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Resonator box removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Default Resonator box removal?

Hey i was wondering if id gain anything besides sound from takin my resonator box off
also will it harm my car or anything if i take it off?
im planning on takin my bumper off to replace my headlight so i figured why not try this while i have the bumper off
is there any other reason besides silencing the intake for the resonator box?

and if it does help does anybody know how to do it?

Old 07-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Resonator box removal?

I know a lot of the 6th gen guys remove theirs. Do you have an SRI? I know you don't have a CAI because you have to remove it for the CAI to fit. Lots of guys just cut a big @$$ hole in it if they don't feel like taking it out. It's only held in by bolts...of course you have to disconnect it from the stock airbox first if you plan on leaving the stock airbox in.
Here's a DIY on a 6th gen where a guy is installing a CAI. He shows you how to take out the resonator box in the middle: http://filtsai.com/accord/AEM-CAI/installation.php
The resonator box was way bigger than I expected!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 PM

im keeping the stock air box (for now at least) i just want to know if doing this will help any

Old 07-20-2007, 10:32 AM

Some say no, and some say yes.
Personally I doubt it would give you anything noticeable except for noise. Your car would lose about 10lbs though!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I remember explaining this somewhere....its like deja vu.

Anyways, resonator removal is needed for CAI units, the filter literally sits where the resonator box once stood. If you want to do a HID conversion, that's where the ballast box, wires, etc. sit as well. I removed my resonator unit and I have my intake in a SRI setup. Both the intake and resonator weigh at least a combined 15-20 pounds of plastic. The whole point of a resonator box is to quiet the ride by rushing air (sound waves) to cancel out the exhaust.

Here's the fun part.

EDIT- I found it!!11

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/do_...m_63505/tm.htm
7th gen resonator removal
I removed it in a couple of steps. First, jack the car up to a suitable and safe location. Second, take the front left wheel off. Third, disconnect the plastic tabbing around the wheel well. Fourth, unscrew the ONE bolt holding the plastic together. (You have to remove a bunch more of plastic tabs...grrr...honda on the side of the wheel). Fifth, pull on the bumper a bit to give you more room. There are two bolts holding the resonator in place. One is accessible from the engine bay. The other is hidden deep within the crevice of your wheel well. Get a maglite or its equivalent and shine it though...it should take 5 minutes to find and remove. After removal of bolts...remove the resonator through the wheel well, NOT the engine bay.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:50 AM

Yeah Sleeper I knew you had done it but I didn't want to call you out. Plus I was getting confused between your thread & a thread over on 6thgen. I was also to lazy to do a search [sm=sleeping.gif]

Old 07-20-2007, 11:18 PM

i see so i guess it wouldnt help that much but ill be losing weight (thats always a plus) and i want a lil more sound from my engine really not much money to really mod my car and the bumper will be off anyway i might do it at that time

btw i didnt need to put my HID ballast all the way down there i mounted my ballast on the fram near the top somewhat on the side of my headlights jsut unscrewed some bolts and put it on there

Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: 03Sleeper

I remember explaining this somewhere....its like deja vu.
the deja vu-ness u got may also be from your replies here. when i proposed this exact idea on a very similar car.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/sto...m_53512/tm.htm

HuYnHness, besure and read the last page. theres the website i used to help get it out.