Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Full Exhaust including headers & Converter Questions

Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Default Full Exhaust including headers & Converter Questions

Hey guys. I'm in need of major suggestions and help. I had bought a Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust for 1997 Honda Accord SE (2.2 L) and today I went to get in installed but with my "good luck" the resonator assy was too long and would not fit at all. It was half way to the converter. I took it to 2 shops and they both concluded the same thing. They suggested 3 things:
1) I can either return it which I dont' really wanna do cuz I really want to keep the exhaust plus the shipping cost will be probably hefty on a 50 pound and very long box
2) They can cut the resonator assy and weld it which will probably end up rusting in that area after 1 year so that ain't gonna happen
3) OR get headers and catalyst coverter to replace the old one

At the moment, I think imma go with option 3 and see how much it will end up but I was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions for headers/coverter that can be a reasonable price. Don't really wanna fork up too much money even though I spent a hefty sum on the cat-back.
But any help would be greatly appreciated so get this issue resolved.

And oh yeah I called Magnaflow and they said that they dont' understand why that would and told me that my car must've came from another factory or some bull****.

Thanks again for the help

Old 07-12-2008, 05:33 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Full Exhaust including headers & Converter Questions

Are you sure your exhaust isnt for the EX model? The exhaust is different for that.
Getting new header and cat isnt going to make th exhaust fit unless the cat is not OEM which I am sure the guys @ the muffler shop would have told you.
I would just get the piping cut so it fits and spend a little more on good piping or something. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i'll go with the 2nd one... then paint it with high temp paint (black or silver) just take a look at it every few months and make sure it's not rusting... my weldings are a year old and no sign of rust...

Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM

Yeah, that is what I'm thinking at the moment too in regards to going with the second option. Mainly because I don't think getting new headers will resolve the issue at all even though it will be nice to get them. I am going to call around and see if there is anything that might be able to do the cutting and welding.
However, I am going to take my car to the Honda Dealership and have them look at it and see why it won't fit especially since the exhaust system is factory and should be the same as all the other models within the 1994 to 1997 time frame. That is just boggling my mind. So if they can't figure it out, I will see if I can find someone relatively cheap that is able to cut and weld the pipes.