Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Header or Camshaft??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Default Header or Camshaft??

jus got my taxes back and for a little money i heard the aftermarket camshaft would be nice for a little more power over stock plus a few bolt ons.....i also heard that header is the root of most mods....im leaning more towards header because i mean its noticeable when u open the hood plus easier to breathe....but the camshaft i heard adds alot more power than headers....which way you think i should go??

edit: definitely meant to say i was leaning more towards camshaft

Last edited by AccordLXMaster; 03-18-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Both have pros and cons. On a 4 cylinder accord, I don't recommend headers for a DD because you lose some low end drivability due to less low-rpm torque. With a camshaft, the car will be retuned to make power at higher rpms, hurting the idle performance a bit, plus then you will also need engine management to tune the car.

For the camshaft, a Stage 1 or 2 shaft should retain some drivability. Cams are usually for larger builds such as turbo or a built NA.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 AM

engine management specifically meaning??...professionally done or just somethin that needs to be done real quick every now and then??

Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Engine management is the ability to tune the air fuel mixture. The device determines the control scheme. For example, my AEM F/IC has maps to vary the fuel mixture based on it's internal MAP sensor, it can vary ignition timing as well .... separate maps for the O2 sensor and MAF (my tC has a MAF) and 2 spare maps for whatever else you want it to base controls on.

You'd have to get the car tuned on a dyno and with a wideband O2 setup. You get it done once unless you make any additional major modifications.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:51 PM

looks like i just need to save up and make modifications all at once instead of piece by piece....or should i say bolt on by bolt on...

Old 03-22-2009, 12:58 PM
azslayer_1
Unregistered

i have a 97 accord w/header catback and cold air intake if you get the header you will notice the increase in power mine is a auto trans and i beat v6 and standard accord.i plan to get a cam and msd cuz with the header theres just too much fuel not getting burnt.i have a high flow catalyst so the smell of unburnt fuel is strong.as for the computer i wouldnt tune until you get all of what you want the stock computer figures it out pretty well.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:53 AM
dannyelmejor
Unregistered

If i were you i would go with header because u can notice the increse of power!!!! and the camshaft too!!!! but header is better!!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Well, you already have the SRI and the Flowmaster (stock cat?), so the next logical upgrade will be the headers.

If you want to follow up with a mild cam after, you may need to address what falkore said - you're putting more air into the engine you need to keep up with more fuel. The air/fuel ration is mapped into the ECU. You may be ok if the air flow sensor and injectors do not max out.

That's where the O2 sensor comes into play. You'll need to measure the output signal of a wideband sensor and see if it's in the normal range. That'll tell you the system was able to accomodate all of your changes. If you run lean then you may need to upgrade the fuel delivery system (injectors, regulator, pump).

However, since most people do not have the measuring capability, one change at a time - like you said - is the safest. But they (tuners) say that the factory/stock set up has a lot of play in it, which makes it all possible (if you do not go overboard).

Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dannyelmejor
If i were you i would go with header because u can notice the increse of power!!!! and the camshaft too!!!! but header is better!!!!
are you kidding me?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by draser
Well, you already have the SRI and the Flowmaster (stock cat?), so the next logical upgrade will be the headers.

If you want to follow up with a mild cam after, you may need to address what falkore said - you're putting more air into the engine you need to keep up with more fuel. The air/fuel ration is mapped into the ECU. You may be ok if the air flow sensor and injectors do not max out.

That's where the O2 sensor comes into play. You'll need to measure the output signal of a wideband sensor and see if it's in the normal range. That'll tell you the system was able to accomodate all of your changes. If you run lean then you may need to upgrade the fuel delivery system (injectors, regulator, pump).

However, since most people do not have the measuring capability, one change at a time - like you said - is the safest. But they (tuners) say that the factory/stock set up has a lot of play in it, which makes it all possible (if you do not go overboard).

yeah its stock cat...just a flowmaster and a chrome angled tip...running straight pipe to cat conv. so yeah i guess headers should be the way to go..and now that i think about it...i jus changed my SRI to a homeade CAI last night using stock tubing....(took a little minute) and boy does it grunt....but i do smell lots and lots of gas....well id say from 1-10 about a good 6...its pretty strong...not alot but the little bit is strong...so im thinking theres some unburnt fuel right?...lots of work on air but not fuel...so think its time to upgrade fuel system??..or should i go somewhere to get the ECU checked first?

Quick Reply: Header or Camshaft??