Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

headers making NOISE!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Default headers making NOISE!!! help

i was driving to work yesterday and noticed my car was making a rattling noise, sort of what you would hear is the motor had a bad bearing... anyways i went under the car and nocited that it was the damn header 2-1 pipe ratling away... when i drive i cant hear it over 2500 rpms... but under that it rattles... really bugs the crap out of me...

is there something i can do to stop this .... if not im gonna put my stock one back on....

Old 10-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Default RE: headers making NOISE!!! help

Is it loose or something? Are you sure it's the pipe and not a heat sheild?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 PM

not sure exactly but i know its something with the damn header... when i hit it it stops... then starts again... also when i turn it on in the morning, and its cold... it doesnt make the noise... till it heats up i guess...

where is this heat sheild you speak of...

Old 10-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the heat shield is attached to the bottom of the cat. It is close to the header, so this is still possible. Also look to see if there's anything nearby that could be hitting the header, cat, exhaust pipe or engine.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 PM

yea ill check it out tonight... thanks for the input guys... anyone else have any other suggestions?

Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Also make sure none of the hangers that support your exhaust are broken or damaged. That would likely cause the whole exhaust system to rattle away.......

Old 10-02-2007, 02:32 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Just remember that even the smallest amount of metal to metal contact can create lots of noise. So it may be something smaller than expected

Old 10-02-2007, 03:52 PM

could be gremlins, dont get them wet or feed them after midnight...sorry im in a goofy mood...its quit'n time

Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 PM

falkore24 you were right bro, i got home, waited for the car to cool, then jacked it up and started hitting the flex pipe to try and re-create engine vibration and noticed the noise was comming from the CAT... so to correct the problem.... i took the sheild off, will this cause any probs? i think my CAT is bad btw... because is sounds like theres something loose in there when i bang it....

but in anycase the problem is resolved for now, i drove to work and no noise from the exaust just the wiisssss from headers and the vrrrrrmmmm from the intake...

im a happy camper

Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 PM

sir_nasty, sorry man forgot to give you credit too... thanks for the heads up

Quick Reply: headers making NOISE!!! help