Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

How do you remove the exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:22 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default How do you remove the exhaust manifold?

Hey guys! I just ordered my OBX racing headers and was wondering how to remove the old exhaust manifold on a 1997 Accord. Is it very hard?

Old 05-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Default RE: How do you remove the exhaust manifold?

well u need about 30000 dollars worth of equipment and maby needs 10 guys and its probably gunna take about 10-20 hours worth of work to get it into there... :-P anyway just kidding its not hard just unbolt it and put it in... the only problem u might see is getting it into ur old exaust... personaly i would do a header back install so u dont have to worry about anything ever going to crap with it

Old 05-08-2006, 10:32 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

lol That first sentence freaked me out! lol Will I have to remove anything to get my old manifold out (as I noticed its one piece and pretty long)? And what do you mean by
personaly i would do a header back install so u dont have to worry about anything ever going to crap with it
Thanks for your help legionfone!

Old 05-08-2006, 05:21 PM

Install isn't too bad on a 1997. Just make sure you don't damage the O2 sensor in the process.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:33 PM

get an O2 socket to remove the o2 sensor and make your life easier... By header back he was saying (I believe) to replace the entire exhaust system from the headers to the muffler.... I personally don't agree but if you can afford it it's not a bad idea... the only thing I would make sure you have on hand (besides the gaskets) is some pentrating oil or at least some WD-40 to spray on the bolts because they're probably fairly stiff.... and get the torque specifications on them...

Old 05-08-2006, 05:36 PM

sorry quick follow up.... there is 3 bolts ( I believe) that hold the heat shield on... once you remove them you are going to have to remove the o2 sensor as well (at least disconnect the wire...) then wiggle the sheild off... this is an area where the WD-40 comes in handy as well, spray it around the bolt holes once they are removed... then I would disconnect the piece the headers are going to replace from underneath the car first, jack up the car and pull the bolts that hold it to the head and it should just drop out the bottom... Having those bottom bolts undone first help with removal due to the weight (sometimes....) make sure you clean the old gasket off the head VERY well, it should be 100% smooth, then re-install in reverse order of removal!

Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright, thanks for all your help guys! I've got a Haynes manual for torque specs and will be installing the Apexi WS2 exhaust at the same time but I'm keeping the stock cat. convertor. Does Autozone do the tool sharing on the o2 sensor remover? Hope so! lol I'll be installing the exhaust (once I get the $$) and headers next month and ill let you know how it goes! Thanks

Old 05-08-2006, 11:14 PM

i was just saying depending on ur headers they can be longer or shorter than ur manifold and that means that u could have gaps in ur exaust... if u get a full header back exaust kit... then u have EVERYTHING that u will need and not have gaps or fitement problems...

Old 05-08-2006, 11:43 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Ohh...I didn't know that[>:]. Well I'll cross my fingers that they work out ok and there are no gaps

Oh yeah, one more question. Is the heat shield there to prevent you from burning yourself, or is it there to help prevent other things near them from getting as hot. <That probably a really dumb question. Sry in advance.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:45 AM

I guess the heat shield can also serve as protection against getting burned by the actual header but its main purpose it to help keep the parts around it cool. The header gets incredibly hot because of the exhaust gasses flowing through it and the shield does its job.

Quick Reply: How do you remove the exhaust manifold?