Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

How do you tell if flex pipe is bad ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Default How do you tell if flex pipe is bad ???

SAME AS TITLE, NEED TO KNO HOW TO TELL OR TEST FLEX PIPE FOR BEING SHOT.WORE OUT or NEEDS REPLACED...oops sorry caps

Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Does it leak?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM

lol, ya I think it is leaking gonna get back under and see wuts up, thought i can wrap a wet towel around it to see if there is a sound change... i keep ya'all posted ...

Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

With the engine idling, have someone hold a wadded-up rag against the tailpipe. The extra back-pressure will make any leaks sound louder (easier to find).

Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM

hey, thats a good idea... Did the wet towel thing and noticed a difference, but gonna try your way to. TY...

Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Thumbs up Honda-Tech forums...???

I also am Honda-Teck forums, it seems to be kinda unfriendly. Never get replies on it... Glad I found this one, for sure...

Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Search back, you'll find plenty of posts from me over on Honda-Tech, especially in the Integra area. Several of us have been over there.

Honda-Tech has (had?) a lot of good helpful smart people. All the flame wars & BS kinda comes & goes. I like this place because we don't put up with that nonsense.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 AM

hey Jim, another question, What is the correct term for the pipes that come from the header, down to 2, down to 1, that connects to the cat... Seems to be alot of different terms used... What ever they are called, mine bolts to the header with 2 pipes, and down to 1 pipe at cat... the flex pipe is in the 1 pipe section...

Old 07-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Honda calls that the "A-pipe". Many other car companies call that the "down-pipe" or the "head-pipe".

Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 AM

Hi All.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm on the next step from dunn. The A/down pipe does need to be replaced on my EX, however Honda wants $400+ for it, which seems sort of ridiculous. As the car has A LOT of miles on it I'm not looking to spend much money. It seems that it would be cheaper just to buy an after-market header system and install that. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there a manufacturer of cheap replacement exhaust parts, or would getting a header system be the cheaper way to go. If so, what's a reasonable amount to spend on that, since they seem to range from $70 to way more than the OEM part, but obviously > $100 seems unlikely to be made very well.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: How do you tell if flex pipe is bad ???