Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Intake, Header and Exhaust for 97 accord ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Default Intake, Header and Exhaust for 97 accord ex

Hi, so I need some advice. I am soon going to be buying a 1997 accord ex with a F22b1 engine from my dad after I get my license slightly after my 17th birthday. Being that I am mechanically savvy and need a reason to take the car apart, I decided that I would upgrade it. Here is where I need the help. I am looking to spend less than $250 on an intake, header and exhaust. I want a car that is more fun to drive but, I would like to keep the noise to a minimum as I don't care to have any unwanted attention. Ebay looks to me to be the most viable option but, I have heard some of the parts are not the most reliable. Also would I need to re-tune the engine after the modifications? One more thing, I am pretty sure that I don't want a CAI because I would rather not chance hydro-lock my first car.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Last edited by Engine Boy 61; 02-19-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:19 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

H22b1?

I am assuming you mean F22B1 since it is an EX. You can easily get all 3 off eBay for that price. Assuming you get a no name intake, throw away the filter and replace it with either a K&N or AEM Dryflow filter. Exhaust wise, I haven't heard many complaints of ebay exhausts, but you will DEF. need a silencer to keep it quiet, but it will attract unwanted attention just b/c of the large muffler. Header wise, no name headers can be crap and crack or sometimes people get good luck. I'd say at least go with a Megan Racing header.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. It seems like the prices of the parts off ebay will almost fit my budget but, that Megan Racing Header seems like it would be pushing it. Would a M2 Performance, BBP or JDM exhaust header still be okay?

Old 02-21-2010, 01:24 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Never heard of those brands, but i'd bet money they are the exact same header some the same plant in China.

Anything with JDM in the name is in general going to be junk. They just hope that you will see JDM and think its directly from Japan and super rare or expensive.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

$250 is an extremely low budget to buy all of those. A quality exhaust can cost twice that alone.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
$250 is an extremely low budget to buy all of those. A quality exhaust can cost twice that alone.
werd. The exhaust I am looking at cost easily twice that.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:24 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Originally Posted by live2rice
True, I payed close to 5 bils for my Apexi.

But, hes looking for a budget build and theres nothing wrong with the $150 ebay exhausts. They are loud but they last for quite awhile. Put a silencer in it and you're golden! If I could do it again and I would have just got one of those assuming there was a non-fart can version.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 PM

So I have one more question. Seeing as It appears that the intake, header and exhaust would run me at least $300, might it be a better plan to just go for an engine rebuild rebuild kit. I found one on Ebay for $260. My car currently has 100,000 miles on it.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Not unless something is wrong with the motor.

Many people consider 100,000 miles on the motors just starting to get broken in.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 PM

Sorry, guess I have more questions. So if the engine is fine, I would like to know if putting on the AEM filter with short ram intake, Megan racing header and no name catback exhaust is really going to translate into power I can actually feel in the car? Also, as far as the header improving engine performance, I have heard that it will only make more power for 4000 rpm up, is this true? I really don't wont to get stuck with a car that sounds cool but, gives me no real power change. Lastly, I am concerned whether my set up will pass the smog test.

Quick Reply: Intake, Header and Exhaust for 97 accord ex