Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Intake Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Past
Unregistered
Default Intake Help

Hello all,

I recently had to take my after market cold air intake out of my car and I am very, very disappointed. I loved the thing. I had this exact intake: http://www.aempower.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=1076 AEM V2. I drive a 2001 Honda Accord V6. I live in Louisiana so driving with an intake around here in hurricane alley is pretty much suicide for my engine. Also my car is a tad bit lowered. I really want to install it back in there though because I love the HP / MPG Gain and the nice noise it makes. It rains a lot down here and my car is a daily driver...so I was wondering if there was really any good way to prevent water from entering my engine through the intake in the rain. And its not like Im driving through puddles on purpose. I've looked at all the by pass valves and things like that, but my friend said that the by-pass valves pretty much make the intake useless. I also read somewhere that someone had crafted a compartment for his intake using his stock floor mats that didnt allow heat or water to get to his intake. Does anyone here have experience doing that that might be able to help me out? Any advice would be more than great. Thanks a ton.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Default RE: Intake Help

I never herd that a by-pass makes the system totally useless ,may not help you any but not useless.... that window didnt pull up for me.. but is this a CAI i am assuming since were talking water in the motor? If so i have a CAI n im lowered with a by pass... i havent had any problems, the plastic panal covers the filter well enough, while still allowing it to take in cold air, i never noticed any change in the CAI w/ the by pass vs. w/o

Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Comptech Icebox is a good compromise between SRI and CAI. I installed one on my brother's 3.2CL ..... it doesn't seem to be able to hydrolock.

Best bet would be to switch to SRI.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Past
Unregistered

Have you gone through any deep deep puddles with the bypass on? If so, was the result fatal? And what kind of bypass would be best for my intake? Because when I got just a little water in my engine, the puddle wasnt even that deep. Is there any other way to mount a V2 CAI through the grill, like the stock? Or it has to come out of the wheel well?

Also, how does the comptech icebox sound? I really don't want to switch to an SRI since I have a really good CAI just sitting in a box in my trunk :[.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:49 PM

Here are a couple of links: (the 1st link you have to scroll down a lil)

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/...ssories/injen/

im not sure if this will prevent water from getting into the filter.
http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm

Old 09-09-2008, 08:47 AM

There are only a couple ways to hydrolock an engine with a CAI.

1. drive through a puddle that covers 4 inches of your lower front bumper
2. ignore that you lost your lower shield and drive through a lot of snow (you know who you are
3. get the lower shield and drive in heavy rain
4. drive in heavy rain without your front bumper

Old 09-09-2008, 12:29 PM

the chances of hydrolocking an engine with your cai is basically none.like falkore said. as long as your not driving in water thats 4 inch above the bottom bumper, ur good.

in other words, dont drive in a flood

Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Past
Unregistered

Well when I did kill my car(what caused me to have to take the CAI out) I went through a puddle that wasn't even up to my bumper. Luckily the engine wasn't damaged...but it was hardly a flood and I didn't really expect about an inch of water to get in my intake.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:17 AM

hmmm .... is the filter exposed on your car ....... while we're on the subject, what is your car???

Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Past
Unregistered

I'm not really sure if the filter is exposed. I'm pretty sure it is though because it did not come with any special casing. And I drive a 2001 Accord V6. If you have AIM I can talk a lot better on there, my screen name is alex kills sheep

Thanks to all for all your help though, greatly appreciated :]

EDIT: MY intake looks exactly like this one

Quick Reply: Intake Help