Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

K&N Air Filters. Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Default K&N Air Filters. Pros/Cons

I've see a few threads concerning K&N Air filters shut down. Why?

I would like to hear people's experiences with K&N air filters both positive and negative.

I personally have used the filters for 10 years but the one positive, which is reusability, is really not that cost effective given that regular air filters are about $10.00 and can last a few years.

As far as the performance gains claimed by K&N has anyone measured this on their vehicle? I can tell you specifically that MPG has not improved with K&N air filters installed on any of my vehicles ranging from V4's to V8's.

So what say you?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Supper Moderator

Why the other thread was shut down b/c things were getting out of hand and not really staying on topic. One member was getting singled out b/c of his thoughts and that was not fair.

As for the K&N brand I have used them on every engine I have owned and built. I have never ever had one issue with sucking in dust dirt ect. and I live on a big farm that only has dirt roads nothing is paved.
I also have pics of my last f22a insides to prove the no believers that K&N will not destroy your engine and my old f22a had 220k on the clock.
I give K&N thumbs up and recommend them to anyone looking for a good long lasting filter than gives you the extra air flow for what you need/want.

OT- Let's keep this thread on topic and discuss. If your stating facts try and back up your statement so we don't have a relapse of the old thread.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM

I don't doubt your experience with not one K&N filter you have owned not sucking in dust or dirt. And I could possibly see the advantage of using a cleanable K&N filter if you live in extremely dusty environments.

But would your experience have been the same with a low priced air filter?

And for the majority of us who live on paved streets where dust is not an issue what advantages could we possibly see from a $50 K&N air filter versus a $10 air filter?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 AM

If we're just talking about the regular old drop in replacement OEM filters, here's what my thinking was:

I can find a K&N for $40. An STP (cheapest at AutoZone and I would never go any cheaper for an air filter. Ever.) is $19.
They're reusable.
Air flow.
I know many people who swear by them and no one who has had a problem with them.
I trust K&N as a company. To have such a large fan base, even outside of tuners, you must be doing something right.
Go to an auto parts store with the OEM vs. K&N filter air flow display. It's a stupid gimmick but there's truth to it.

Now for my CAI filter a K&N was included, and I don't even need to oil it. So no extra costs there. That one sealed it for me.

In the end, I see it long term: If I buy a K&N I'm not going to need to buy a $20 air filter every 2-3 years, thus this will pay for itself in 4-6, and I won't even need to factor in the cost of oil. For me it was easy. Yeah $20/year isn't much at all, but over time that adds up. If your Honda goes 400k, which it easily can, that's 20-26 air filter changes (in the city) in the lifetime of the car. At $19 a change, that's $380-506 you've spent on filters. Or properly care for your K&N and spend $65+the cost of oil (if it needs it), which you can get by the pail at a nice discount. So what I say you do now is go get a K&N, and then take your special someone out to dinner with the money you're about to save over the life of your car

Last edited by Peli; 08-03-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Additionally I would like people to comment from their experience with K&N air filters on the following claims at the K&N air filter website:
A) High Air Flow with Excellent Filtration
B) Designed to Increase Horsepower and Acceleration
C) Washable and Reusable
D) Will NOT Void Vehicle Warranty
E) Lasts up to 50,000 miles before cleaning is required depending on driving conditions
F) K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty®
G) Emissions Legal in all 50 US States.
H) Economical, a K&N Air Filter Will Last the Life of Your Automobile, Motorcycle, or ATV
I) Works with Original Equipment Manufacturer Vehicle Electronics
J) Easy High Performance Add-on
K) Environmentally Friendly
Claims A, B, D, G, I, J, and K I would make the same argument for standard air filters.

For Claim A I had no way of substantiating versus a standard air filter. What I could substantiate is my MPG numbers which did not increase an measurable difference.

The only possible advantage I could see is Claim C and F although I wonder how many people hold onto their cars more than 5 years anyway.

Claim F has a stipulation from K&N website: K&N warrants its street vehicle OE Replacement Air Filters for one million miles. When used properly and found to be defective, return your filter and the receipt from purchase and K&N will replace it free of charge.

Who has kept the receipt from their K&N purchase? And what is “found to be defective” mean?

Lastly the “What is not covered by our warranty” states: Any K&N product used for 1: any type of racing or competition; 2: any off-road use, custom or modified applications; 3: any off-road or dual sport motorcycle/ ATV use; or 4: any illegal highway use, marine, or industrial applications. All K&N Air Filters not covered by our million mile warranty are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase with no mileage limitation. This includes K&N Air Filters sold for ATV's and off-highway or dual-purpose motorcycles.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Peli
If we're just talking about the regular old drop in replacement OEM filters, here's what my thinking was:

I can find a K&N for $40. An STP (cheapest at AutoZone and I would never go any cheaper for an air filter. Ever.) is $19.
They're reusable.
Air flow.
I know many people who swear by them and no one who has had a problem with them.
I trust K&N as a company. To have such a large fan base, even outside of tuners, you must be doing something right.
Go to an auto parts store with the OEM vs. K&N filter air flow display. It's a stupid gimmick but there's truth to it.

Now for my CAI filter a K&N was included, and I don't even need to oil it. So no extra costs there. That one sealed it for me.

In the end, I see it long term: If I buy a K&N I'm not going to need to buy a $20 air filter every 2-3 years, thus this will pay for itself in 4-6, and I won't even need to factor in the cost of oil. For me it was easy. Yeah $20/year isn't much at all, but over time that adds up. If your Honda goes 400k, which it easily can, that's 20-26 air filter changes (in the city) in the lifetime of the car. At $19 a change, that's $380-506 you've spent on filters. Or properly care for your K&N and spend $65+the cost of oil (if it needs it), which you can get by the pail at a nice discount. So what I say you do now is go get a K&N, and then take your special someone out to dinner with the money you're about to save over the life of your car
I can get a standard air filter for $12 versus $50 at Advanced Auto Parts. With proper inspection and cleaning of a standard air filter I believe you can get at least 50,000 miles on one. So I would have to drive 200,000 miles to break even plus the K&N air filter service kit is $12.00.

So economically theres not a lot of advantage.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by tradosaurus
Who has kept the receipt from their K&N purchase?
I keep all my major vehicle purchase related receipts in a safe place. A better question is, if you have a warranty on a product who throws the receipt away?

Lastly the “What is not covered by our warranty” states: Any K&N product used for 1: any type of racing or competition; 2: any off-road use, custom or modified applications; 3: any off-road or dual sport motorcycle/ ATV use; or 4: any illegal highway use, marine, or industrial applications. All K&N Air Filters not covered by our million mile warranty are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase with no mileage limitation. This includes K&N Air Filters sold for ATV's and off-highway or dual-purpose motorcycles.
What this says is if you use it correctly for daily driving it will be covered for one million miles. And any vehicle not expressly falling under the one million mile warranty still has a one year warranty. Do you think any company in its right mind would cover an offroad filter for one million miles? That would be ludicrous. K&N's warranty works for anyone who drives their car in normal city conditions. But I wouldn't ever expect a company to warranty their parts if I decide to take a Sunday drive on the Sahara or use my car for deep sea exploration.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:10 AM

I can get a standard air filter for $12 versus $50 at Advanced Auto Parts. With proper inspection and cleaning of a standard air filter I believe you can get at least 50,000 miles on one. So I would have to drive 200,000 miles to break even plus the K&N air filter service kit is $12.00.

So economically theres not a lot of advantage.
You shouldn't let a filter go 50k if you're in a big city or you spend any time on dirt roads. Here in Portland my filter got jet black in 14k miles. I suppose location should also factor into whether one is economical for any given person, but 50k seems like double what you should let your filter have under any conditions. What brand filter are you using?

Plus you forgot K&N's no-oil filters. That completely erases the cost of a service kit. As well as the fact that you can buy recharge by the pail and save a good amount on it for the ones that do require oil, and if you plan to keep your car for a long time it's a good route to go.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Supper Moderator

I don't doubt your experience with not one K&N filter you have owned not sucking in dust or dirt. And I could possibly see the advantage of using a cleanable K&N filter if you live in extremely dusty environments.

But would your experience have been the same with a low priced air filter?
And for the majority of us who live on paved streets where dust is not an issue what advantages could we possibly see from a $50 K&N air filter versus a $10 air filter?

The point I was trying to make about the dirt roads and dust was Iv never had engine failure b/c of it.
I can't use paper filters on CAI. But when I did use a moded stocker box I used paper to start. The air flow was surly not there. Went with K&N drop in and it was night and day. Then after I always had CAI so I had to use a cone filter. But always have use K&N oil less filters. To clean my filter I always used water let dry then some gas let dry and water again. You can also buy the spay cleaner for like 4bux. I clean my filter every oil change (2200-2800miles) b/c I'm so hard on my engines.

If your like me and do a bunch racing the biggest advantage is air flow and reliability. You need a filter that can take some abuse. My filter is in my wheel well with no wheel well cover. So my filters get a beating from the crap on the road. The extra sand the gets kicked up rubber from my tires from launches ect. ect. ect. The K&N filters are pretty tough and last for a long time.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 AM

I found this link to a test performed on various air filters and the results.

From what I gather the K&N's real advantage is cleanability and long usage unless the 0.14% better air flow is going to make you win a drag race .

Air Filter Flow Testing for Napa Gold, Amsoil two stage foam, Jackson Racing foam, Baldwin, Mazda and K&N

Last edited by tradosaurus; 08-03-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filters. Pros/Cons