Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Magnaflow Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Default Magnaflow Catalytic Converter

Hey guys today i received my magnaflow cat converter(direct fit) I was reading some reviews about this product, all of em said it delivered great performance,good sound, and passed emissions easily, however some of them said after they installed it, it gave off a certain gas smell or smog smell, they said it went away until it "broke." what do they mean by broke? it takes a while for the system to get used to the new cat converter? i know it happened with my cheap butt 30 bucs cat converter, i will install this one on saturday, ill let u guys know about everything.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Default RE: Magnaflow Catalytic Converter

i also had another question, my exhuast pipes are 2.5 but they only had magnaflow cat converter for my car in a 2 inch size, so will this affect my system, instead of causing it to deliver good performance will it possibly deliver poor or normal performance?

Old 05-10-2006, 04:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You have to keep in mind, a pipe can only flow as much as the smallest point. For performance reasons you want to look for a 2.5 inch cat

Old 05-10-2006, 03:03 PM

If it is bigger than the previous cat though, you will still see an increase, but not as big of an increase as if you got one the size of your exhaust piping. Plus, if you've got it installed already it's gonna be tough to get them to take it back. As far as "until it broke", I think whoever said that meant until it is broken in. If you end up putting it on let us know how everything is. I've been thinking of getting a new cat soon.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:28 PM

nah i havent installed it, ill prolly return it back , if i do then I HAVE TO get a universal magnaflow in 2.5, PLUS go to a muffler shop and have them weld some flanges on it.
the cat is about a half inch smaller than the current pipe sizes, magnaflow cat is 2 inches while my exhaust pipes are 2.5(2 1/2) inches.
should i return it back and get a universal one?

Old 05-10-2006, 11:55 PM

magnaflow cat converter is going out tomorrow(return) and they will ship me out a universal magnaflow 2.5 converter.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:01 AM

Though it's a pain to do the return thing, if you want the very most out of your piping then you made the right choice. Please let us know what you think of everything when you get it put on.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 AM

I finally received back my magnaflow/car sound 2.5 inch cat converter, it was 56 bucs, 24 bucs less than the direct fit 2 inch cat, i will have it installed on saturday once i take it to my mechanic so he can weld on some flanges and bolt it on. Ill let you guys know about the outcome, good thing its here because my ebay "hi performance" 30 bucs cat is going bad and starting to make annoying sound.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:57 AM

New Update:
Today I took my car to my mechanic, i took it at 9:30 am he said to be back at 5:30 afternoon, i went back and dude wasnt able to install it because he had to buy about 2 inches of 2.5 inch tubing from the next business next to him but they were closed, so i gotta take it back on monday so he can buy the extra tubing and weld it on the cat, i told him that he shouldve called me so i couldve taken it to another shop where they couldve gotten the job done, i went around town but by 6 o clock all the shops close, so it was too late. tomorrow im gonna go re check another shop i just went to(they have ALL THE EXHAUST essentials), i know the guy too, they were very busy so there was only this big dude available he said to be back on monday , but ill go tomorrow early in the morning and talk to the guy i know.
I know i shouldve went with them at first place because they have all the tubing and stuff, but they are big time pricey, now i dont care i just want the job done, im frustrated.[>:]

Old 05-23-2006, 12:31 AM

Today I took my honda to my mechanic, after work i went to pick it up he told me he just had to buy the extra 2 inches of pipe and 2 flanges on saturday , but the guy opened today so he got the job done, and now its a bolt on magnaflow 2.5 cat, after i left the shop i went out the country to test it, at low rpms it has a great cruise flow, silent deep note from the cat and good sound from my flowmaster, once u hit mid rpms to high rpms, thats when u notice the BIG difference, acceleration is quite fast and very smooth, also a deep note to it, so for 56 bucs and and extra 65 bucs to the mechanic, im glad i dont regret spending every penny, people please avoid those ebay "hi performance" wanna be cats, u might get good results but after a few months they go nuts, alot of turbulence, u notice hesitation in acceleration and annoying raspy sounds that easily attract cops.
thats my REVIEW! I give this product a 9+ out of 10[8D]

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Catalytic Converter