Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

is my intake making me run lean?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:48 PM
bluelight
Unregistered
Default is my intake making me run lean?

recently i installed an injen cold air intake on my 03 accord, and i noticed shortly afterward that my engines been running lean, i was wondering if anyone knew if it is my intake that caused it, and what i can do about getting it back to normal...

Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Default RE: is my intake making me run lean?

how recently was it installed? what signs of a lean mixture are you seeing? are you throwing a lean mixture code?

i think it takes 3 warm-up cycles, for the computer to make any changes it sees fit. maybe it just hasnt adapted to the changes yet.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:29 PM
bluelight
Unregistered

i installed it about 3 months ago, and i have a service light that came on a couple weeks after i put it on, i didnt realize it was lean till i changed my oil and spark plugs, the spark plugs i took out the ends of them were white, which a friend of mine said they were like that cause i was running lean, was he right, or am i just stupid...

Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: bluelight

i installed it about 3 months ago, and i have a service light that came on a couple weeks after i put it on, i didnt realize it was lean till i changed my oil and spark plugs, the spark plugs i took out the ends of them were white, which a friend of mine said they were like that cause i was running lean, was he right, or am i just stupid...
an intake WOULD NOT cause your car to run lean. an intake would not affect the fuel/air ratio preset by the ecu. if your car was running lean you would know it. symptoms of running lean: backfires at high throttle settings, hesitation when the throttle is opened, or the motor actually slowing down the more you open the throttle.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:18 PM
bluelight
Unregistered

well thats good to know, now i just gotta figure out why the light is on, and thanks alot...

Old 08-18-2007, 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: bluelight

well thats good to know, now i just gotta figure out why the light is on, and thanks alot...
i believe the service light comes on at different mileage intervals so that you maintain proper service of the vehicle. check your owners manual on reseting it. you or the dealer can do it.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Was it the check engine light or the service light?
An intake will and can mess with your air/fuel mixture. What you need to do is to reset the ECU. Unplug the neg. battery cable from the battery for 10-15 minutes with your doors open to drain all power. Hook the cable back up. Start the car. Let it idle for 5-10 minutes WITHOUT ever touching the gas and then drive like normal. This allows the ecu to relearn itself, and will adapt to the intake. Please let us know how it works for you, so it may help others.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:54 AM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Was it the check engine light or the service light?
An intake will and can mess with your air/fuel mixture. What you need to do is to reset the ECU. Unplug the neg. battery cable from the battery for 10-15 minutes with your doors open to drain all power. Hook the cable back up. Start the car. Let it idle for 5-10 minutes WITHOUT ever touching the gas and then drive like normal. This allows the ecu to relearn itself, and will adapt to the intake. Please let us know how it works for you, so it may help others.
doesnt change the preset fuel/air ratio. its just easier to get the air. it doesnt intake more air. it's just using less effort. if it did change, it would have to dump more fuel. this isnt true because gas mileage is not affected by bolt ons...

Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 PM

im just guessing that an unplugged vaccum hose wouldcause more obvious problems than white plugs right?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:40 PM

Hey kind of like having the same problem as blue lights. I install my intake around 2 or 3 month ago
and now my Maintaince Required lights is on. It really bother me. I did my tune up around 5 months ago, just oil change too. Ihave no idea why its on any suggestion?

Quick Reply: is my intake making me run lean?