Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

need replacement exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 AM
jam
Newest Of Newbies
Default need replacement exhaust

Hi,
i have a 97 accord ex (non-vtec) and the pipe from the cat to the muffler needs to be replaced (hole in the mesh flex piece). Apparently it is the original pipe. Last time i did exhaust on another car it was Maremont and it rotted inside of 2 years, so i am looking for a longer lasting replacement option.

Do any of you have experience with Walker or Bosal?

Any other suggestions? What exactly is the factory, was it stainless? Is it possible to get a direct fit stainless pipe (other than the huge money from the factory) anywhere, or any other longer lasting options?

thanks.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: need replacement exhaust

it's a flexible conection and needs to remain flexible ...... go to a muffler shop and have them weld a new one in ....... shouldn't cost much.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:01 AM

Yeah i think a muffler would cost anywhere from 50-150 installed... Depending on what you go with.

If it's in the higher range, you should convert the entire cat-back to stainless steel with a GReddy SP2

Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 AM

uhhh ...... I think that he just needs the flex connector replaced ...... please correct me if I'm wrong ...... for catback, look at the Apexi WS2 or GReddy SP2 or EVO2 ...... magnaflow is good too for a more standard looking muffler.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 AM
jam
Newest Of Newbies

ORIGINAL: falkore24

uhhh ...... I think that he just needs the flex connector replaced ...... please correct me if I'm wrong ...... for catback, look at the Apexi WS2 or GReddy SP2 or EVO2 ...... magnaflow is good too for a more standard looking muffler.
yes, that's right, the hole is only in the flex pipe, but it is currently welded as part of the whole cat-to-muffler pipe. To get a new piece welded in will probably cost as much as geting a whole new gereric replacement pipe (pipe is in the 115-150 range up here)......and then i would have welded joints where it will start rotting anyway.

What are these "GReddy, SP2, EVO2"? Are those performance options? I am not looking for pricey performance exhaust and want the stock sound level (i do a lot of driving).

thanks.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM

cutting and welding in a new flex pipe should only cost around 60-75 bucks.

The cat-backs mentioned are performance exhausts. GReddy makes the SP2 and EVO2. Apexi makes the WS2.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM

Sorry, I missed the part where you said the problem was in the flex connector..

yeah, you may not want performance parts...

but good luck!@

Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 PM
jam
Newest Of Newbies

ORIGINAL: falkore24

cutting and welding in a new flex pipe should only cost around 60-75 bucks.

The cat-backs mentioned are performance exhausts. GReddy makes the SP2 and EVO2. Apexi makes the WS2.
Well, must be different up here in Canada. the flex pipe alone is like 50ish in the store (at least) and then depending on if they charge 1 hour minimum or how long it would take, you are right up there with buying a new pipe. I actually did call one shop (someone i knew) and he said by the time he did all that you would probably be better off buying the new pipe.