Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

New CAI arrived today..

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:19 PM
mak
Default New CAI arrived today..

I got my new CAI system today, I had originally ordered a no-namer from ebay that was suppose to be 3" piping with all blue accessories, they sent me 2.5" tubes and black accessories (missing most accessories at that, easily replaced I believe).

My question is this; Will I notice a difference in performance between 2.5" and 3" tubing? I've got a 91 accord 2.2L with a full catback system (3" all the way back), upgraded ignition system and upgraded electrical system.. not much else done to it.

-mak

Old 03-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Default RE: New CAI arrived today..

Probably, the only difference would be the amount of air it takes in, but im pretty sure .5' isnt going to affect it much.

and maybe the loudness of it might go down a bit.

-Nick

Old 03-29-2008, 04:54 PM

As stated above, other than sound (maybe), I doubt there will be much difference.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:08 PM
mak

Are you saying that a bigger pipe would be louder, or that the smaller pipe would? I did some re-measuring, and from left to right, it's a hair short of 2.75".

I contacted the seller, they said they would replace it if I proved it was the wrong size, but I'm wondering if, since they sent me a 3" filter, if I should just request a 2.75" filter.. the 3" filter fits on this pipe, but I fear it'll leak a bit, and I'm afraid it might fall off while I'm driving (I can pull it off, but not without force.. while it's tightened almost all the way down).

Should I just request a smaller filter?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 PM
mak

Sorry for the double post, but had a few more questions;

When I went to pull the old intake system out of the car (1991 accord, ex, 2.2L), there was a small black box with a sensor in it, a line in from the intake (which also had a small white and orange coupler on it) and a line going to a section of the stock intake, which appeared to be a flange that opened up when that sensor told it to.. what is this box? and is it OK that I've capped the line coming from the intake (to it) since it cannot be used with the aftermarket CAI?

Also, there's a small vaccum hose coming from a sensor on the right hand side of the intake to the stock intake, there's also a spot for it on the aftermarket CAI, what is this for? It wasn't hooked up to the stock intake (at least not in the 3 years I've owned the car) and it doesn't reach the spot for it on the new CAI.. I'm thinking about picking up more hose to get it hooked up, since it's basically a vaccum leak. Still, it'd be nice to know what it is, and what effects not having it hooked up can cause.