Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

possible to install catback without lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Default RE: possible to install catback without lift?

thanks to everyone who replied! I guess it's near impossible to do without a lift... thanks anyways guys!

Old 03-10-2008, 02:06 PM

It's not hard to do with a $20 jack and 2 sets of jackstands (normally cost around $20 each)

Old 03-10-2008, 02:36 PM

well, my household does have 3 cars (my mom drives a 2004 oddysey my dad drives a 2001 civic; all hondas ) so that's three tire jacks, and i do have like these two things, lack of a better word, that i can drive up to elevate half of the car a bit, maybe like 1 foot up. my dad uses them to change oil for the cars. would that be ok? and also, im buying it off ebay and it says in the description, bolt-on, so doesn't that mean it doesn't requre any welding? thank you once again fro all your help!

Old 03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think the word you're looking for is "ramps" lol. If you drove the front end up the ramps and then used 2 of the scissor jacks you have to jack up the rear on the 2 jack points you would be in good shape. I highly recommend at least buying or borrowing a set of jackstands for the rear though, scissor jakcs are a bit sketchy. You shouldn't need to do any welding, but maybe grinding if the bolts are rusted on your catalytic converter.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

I think the word you're looking for is "ramps" lol. If you drove the front end up the ramps and then used 2 of the scissor jacks you have to jack up the rear on the 2 jack points you would be in good shape. I highly recommend at least buying or borrowing a set of jackstands for the rear though, scissor jakcs are a bit sketchy. You shouldn't need to do any welding, but maybe grinding if the bolts are rusted on your catalytic converter.
wooow i feel really stupid now lol, yup i meant ramps. ok i think i might try it out, thanks guys fo the help

Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Eh...I wouldn't recommend jacking it up while its on those ramps. The odds of the car rolling back are too great IMO to risk it.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:21 PM

don't feel stupid...but at the same time stop trying to take risks...if i were you,i'd get 4 jacks...use two for the front and two for the back and then go under also i'd have it on a FLAT surface...its too risky man...just do it the legit way..better safe then sorry.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 AM

I just put on my exhaust and I did it with only a jack and two stands. Wasn't that hard really. If you have an older vehicle you may have to torch off the bolts on the catalytic converter, so be ready for that. To make it easy I just took it down to the shop, had em torch off all the bolts and studs on the cat and I replaced them with nuts and bolts. This made the whole cat back super easy.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007

don't feel stupid...but at the same time stop trying to take risks...if i were you,i'd get 4 jacks...use two for the front and two for the back and then go under also i'd have it on a FLAT surface...its too risky man...just do it the legit way..better safe then sorry.
NEVER get under a car that is only supported by jacks. Unless you want to be crushed to death when the jacks either fail or topple. Use jackstands or pay someone else to do the work.
Bolt on exhausts do not require welding. Did you look at the DIY link Igave you? You may have to torch off the old bolts though. Either torch or use a ton of liquid wrench or PB Blaster.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:09 PM

If you backed up onto the ramps and set the e-brake and then jacked up the front you possibly could. Usually if I know I'll be working on my car for a long time i just throw it on top of 4 jack stands to eliminate any risk. It's always better to do it once the right way, rather than 6 times the wrong way. A nice jack is never a poor investment. I have a Craftsman 3 1/2 ton and (4) 3 1/2 ton jackstands.

Quick Reply: possible to install catback without lift?