Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

rusted cat flange, new exhaust suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default rusted cat flange, new exhaust suggestions.

I recently purchased a Borla exhaust kit for my 2003 V6 accord 2dr. While trying to install it, I discovered my cat is rust-fused to both the resonator pipe and the down pipe (front pipe). I have two options: cut away the resonator pipe and drill out the cat flange or replace everything from the front pipe and back. I have selected Walker front pipe and cat and honda gaskets from Majestic Honda online.

I am looking for any opinions/suggestions on the matter and any reviews of Walker products. As always, I apologize in advance if this is a repeat thread. I looked all over the forum and didn't see anything on this particular setup.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Supper Moderator

Torch the bolts off

Old 05-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I had a tech look at it. He said even heat wouldn't help because the bolts and the nuts have rusted together, meaning even if we could loosen the nut, it would just snap the bolt off. I went ahead and ordered the Walker parts as a birthday present to myself. They will be in by the 11th. I was able to find direct-fit Walker downpipe and cat and all gaskets on Amazon for about $345. I'll update when I have the parts installed.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Supper Moderator

you can torch the nut heads off and tap out the bolt. They tap right out when the bolt nut is removed that’s what I did with mine.

Let us know how it sounds when installed

Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I finally got the exhaust on the other day. I soaked the front pipe bolts with liquid wrench for a few hours then broke them with a socket wrench and extension pipe. The old exhaust came off as one piece, nearly having it fall on me when I removed the last hanger. The new front pipe went on easy as pie using the old nuts. The rest went on just as easy.
It sounds GREAT!! Nice low tones on start-up and low RPMs and it nearly disappears until the VTEC kicks in. Combined with the AEM V2 intake, it screams at high RPM.
I've also noticed quicker throttle response and the car seems peppier, but that may be placebo affect.
I am going to go back and tighten the hangers and flanges now that they've had some time to settle. All-in-all, I'm very pleased with this purchase.