Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Short Ram intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:31 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Short Ram intake

Hello all,
I just purchased an AEM short ram intake w/ the Dryflow filter for $105 which I dontt think is to bad! I was just wondering how hard installation and removal of the old airbox is, and also how often does the filter require cleaning or maintnence? Is everyone happy w/ their short ram? Is there any chance of water getting in my engine? And finally what do you guys think of Megan headers (would they bolt up to the stock Cat?)? I saw some on ebay and they were the cheapest ($180) besides the knock-offs. Thanks

Also, are there any warranty issues if I were to get a new exhaust and headers? The Dryflow is supposed to comply w/ your cars warranty so thats why I went w/ that.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Short Ram intake

very good that you got a short ram... um i would recommend changing out the actual filter though to one that has the intake material in the center. i think it helps smooth out the intake flow. a lot of little whirpools and vacuums happen when the air is only drawn in from the side. i have been running my shorty for about 180 thousand miles now and its great. i clean it about every three months. i have heard that megan is a decent brand for the money.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:28 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks Lightshow Did you notice any minor performance gains?
Or have any problems w/ water?
And where could I purchase the filter you are talking about?
And are there any differences between headers on 97 Accords? The megan headers dont say anything about which model they will fit so im assuiming they are the same. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-24-2006, 09:06 PM

minor performance gains? *** it absolutely brought my car to life. it increased my top speed by 10 mph to start with. my car will easily do 130 with 5 people in it and a bunch of stereo eqipment in the back. as soon as i put my shorty on my car there is no need to revit up anymore to light up the tires i just dump the gas and the clutch at idle, and the tach swings all the way over. water....hah yea i keep trying to hydrolock my motor but im just not able too. we just had a huge rain here in az and there is a place in my apartment complex where all the water collects. the puddle must be about a foot and a half deep or more. i went through it as fast as i could, my car was like a cigarette boat and not even a drop got on my intake.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 PM

i really dont try to hydrolock my motor but i do swamp through some fatty puddles with no worries at all.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:53 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks Lightshow! Thats comforting about the water! One last question (sry), Can you tell much of a difference at lower speeds and I keep hearing about how awesome they sound, about how high do you have to rev it to hear it (I've got an auto by the way) ? thnx!

Old 03-25-2006, 04:19 PM

it doesnt matter what rpm your at. as soon as you dig into the gas you hear it. so if you dont press alot of gas noone will know that you have it but as soon as you hit the gas even at 1000 rpm there will just be no question about it

Old 03-25-2006, 04:21 PM

and then there will be certain rpm ranges where the note will be just deafning. if you want to know the reasons for that its listed in some other posts on this site.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:30 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks Lightshow! I'm glad you're on this site! Alright, I know I said one more question last time, but as i've been doing some research i've been reading that a sri may actually decrease your hp and gas mileage b/c its drawing in hot engine bay air. Any truth to that? Thanks in advance

Old 03-25-2006, 07:11 PM

yes there is.....that tube is usually metal and if you let that heat up it will act like a heater. raising the temperature of the intake air. but so will a cold air intake. in fact the cold air intake is worse because there is more piping. you have to wrap your intake with header wrap. when your MOving....the temperature of the air under your hood is almost identical to the outside air. but when your stopped in traffic it is alot warmer. lowering your gas mileage though? no when the air is hot the charge is less dense so the computer puts LESS gas into in mixture which would actually increase your gas mileage. the lowered has mileage is probably from just ripping it so much which YES i do agree with. there was a long time where my gas mileage wouldnt crest 25 not because of the intake but because of my driving. i have learned to keep it silent a little more now and my mileage is pretty good for such an old car.

Quick Reply: Short Ram intake