Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Short Ram Vs Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Default Short Ram Vs Cold Air Intake

So I Really Gotta Ask:

Is there a big diffrence bettwen CAI and SRI in power gains?

i had my CAI on my 01 Accord with a K&N Filter but had to swap it out and put my SRI cause it rained last month and i noticed my car has three holes on the bottom of the bumper cover and i can see the filter right though the passanger side one i think only 01-02 Accords came with this three hole bumper cover... in any case... i think my short ram is noticeably more responsive...

Can someone tell me wtf is wrong with my CAI becoz i used to be convinced that CAI > SRI...

i mean i used the same K&N that was on the CAI.... just swaped out for a SRI pipe.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Default RE: Short Ram Vs Cold Air Intake

Yes the short ram has a better throttle response because since its a shorter pipe, the air takes less time to go through it. The CAI is a longer pipe so the air has to travel all the way up it. The CAI has better gains at higher rpms since it is getting colder air. The short ram is just something thats quick to install, cheaper, and funner/louder. I think theres an intake made by Injen that can be converted to a CAI and SRI because it comes with the tubeing for the CAI.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM

i swear this was a sticky.....just go to https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/FAQ...m_22712/tm.htm

Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Rain and those holes have nothing to do with the necessity to go to a shorter pipe. Using the car as a raft and CAI vs. SRI and you have a point. Any less than 18" of water should not have any bearing on the intake type.

I too had a CAI, but since have changed my opinion on which is better. SRI is easier to maintain. I too will have an SRI, sort of, pretty soon.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Rain and those holes have nothing to do with the necessity to go to a shorter pipe. Using the car as a raft and CAI vs. SRI and you have a point. Any less than 18" of water should not have any bearing on the intake type.

I too had a CAI, but since have changed my opinion on which is better. SRI is easier to maintain. I too will have an SRI, sort of, pretty soon.
LOL your gonna have a lot more to maintain that just the intake!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 PM

I-m taking a lot of time and effort to make sure that I cover all bases so that maintenance is not difficult. The only differences should be more expensive oil changes and fuel.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 AM

CAI all the way =More power

Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Import tuner had an issue on this subject, they actually had dyno, torque and something else charts when comparing the injen CAI and K&N SRI, the SRI was an overall winner, plus it is cheaper and easier to install. New K&N's they come with the heat shield, ofcourse the temp is not going to be lower that CAI, but still reasonable.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Sorry, it was "Sport Compact" not the Import Tuner

And also power gains are different for every vehicle, best thing to do is to go to the manufacturers web site, they should have dyno charts for their products.

Good Luck

Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: nponer

Sorry, it was "Sport Compact" not the Import Tuner

And also power gains are different for every vehicle, best thing to do is to go to the manufacturers web site, they should have dyno charts for their products.

Good Luck

.... and they are always total BS. Gains for both are slightly less than 5 HP. SRI generally pulls 1-2 more ft.lbs. of torque (more important) and CAI gets 1-2 more HP (a calculated #)

HP=tq*RPM/5252

Quick Reply: Short Ram Vs Cold Air Intake