Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Stock Accord now, but......

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Default Stock Accord now, but......

I'm driving a 2005 EXL, 4 banger, 105,000 miles, stock. Suddenly have the bug to fiddle with the internals. No heart surgery, just a few goodies on a married man's budget (significantly lower than high school/college kid with an understanding girlfriend). Been lurking and have concluded so far that a short intake and headers are a good start. Can't quote any specific brands of budget intake that I've found are compatible with my model. Have found that OBX headers are arguably a good choice.

Couple of noob questions....
Should I be concerned about the MAS (or whatever the sensor is mounting to the top of the airbox) with a new intake? Haven't found many that have a location for this. Assume the manufacturer requires the customer to locate and mount or omit the sensor all together? On the header front, just peeking under the hood leads me to believe this is not as easy on the new Accords as the old ones? Lookin down into the engine bay, I can even see the header because it is buried under intake and other components. How big of a job is it? I'm not a complete automotive idiot, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Any advice??
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:07 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Stock Accord now, but......

There are two ways to go intake wise.

$30-40 eBay intake, but you HAVE to throw the filter away and get either an AEM, K&N, or Apex filter. Look closely, some of the auctions state that if you leave a comment w/ payment they will give you an adapter for the MAF sensor.
Or get a name intake, roughly $110-140 AEM, Inken, K&N

Header:
ANYTHING but those no name eBay headers.
I would just call a Midas or w/e and ask them how much to install aftermarket headers, or how difficult it is.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:43 PM

If u buy a name brand intake then it should come with a MAF adapter to fit the new intake... Cheap ebay ones wont

Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM

i don't think the 05's have the MAF sensor. only the 06-07 i believe. i could be wrong. but if u DO have a MAF sensor, ur limited to the fujita cold air intake.that's the only known brand that makes cai's with MAF sensors.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:42 PM

I can't say for certain that I do have a MAF sensor. However, there is a sensor (or something) mounted on top of the airbox with wires connected. Assumption is that it's a MAF sensor? I'd prefer to not compromise the reliability and durability of the engine just to save a few bucks. If the fujita is the only option, the path becomes clearer. Thanks!