Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

too many miles for intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default too many miles for intake?

I just got this car a couple months ago and the people before me treated it like dirt. So ive been going around replacing everything giving it all new life and im considering a aftermarket intake but idk how to go about it. What sensors i need to leave in and also what is the other intake thing mounted on the bottom of my intake and what can i bypass? i dont want to mess anything up but i herd older cars with alot of miles have a hard time adjusting to aftermarket performace parts. And if there is any harm to come from putting a Cool air intake

Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

An air intake isn't going to put any more strain on the engine, if anything it might take some off by letting it breath freely.

That is the resonator box under the stock intake filter. It can be removed if you get a cold air intake.

There aren't any sensors or anything to worry about because they are all on the throttle body.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The little hoses that run into the intake from the motor just let them sit freely? Theres one from the motor with a clamp on it and one that just plugs in. Its okay to let them hang?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

There should be a spot on the new intake for it to connect. If not you will need to either get an oil catch can or put a breather on it.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Got any blue prints or a list? haha ive never done one before . Im not sure what u mean by oil catch can or breather sorry man

Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

The tube comes from the PCV valve on the valve cover. It vents crank case pressure and allows a little oil to enter the intake and reduce emissions(stupid idea the government made mandatory).

Basically any aftermarket intake will have a place for this to hook back up. If not an oil catch can is just that, a can that you attach to the end of the tube that will catch the oil that would have gone into the intake.

A breather is just a little air filter that you put on the PCV valve on the intake instead of the tube and it just allows it to vent crankcase pressure and not release oil.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Okay i can buy that at any auto parts store? ready to go pretty much

Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

An advanced auto type store probably has at least the breather, not sure about the catch can.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Okay ill stop tomorrow and see..... will they know what bends and everything i need?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Best thing would be to find a cold-air intake that has enough hose barbs so you can connect your hoses to it. Hook it up JUST LIKE the stock intake.

The PCV hose from the valvecover goes to the intake manifold, not to the intake.
We're probably talking about the crankcase breather that goes from the valvecover (not from the PCV valve) over to the big rubber intake pipe between the airfilter & the throttlebody.

Quick Reply: too many miles for intake?