Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

what if?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Default what if?????

what if you had a catback with an OEM muffler?!is that possible?!because this guy at work claimed he did it!and he hasn't brought his car to work yet,but is it possible?!won't the sound be horrible?

Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: what if?????

It would be possible, but pointless. The input diameter for the muffler is going to be the same as the oem exhaust piping, which ultimately makes the larger pipe before the muffler useless. It would essentially be the same performance as a stock exhaust, and louder if you remove the resonater.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:53 PM

^I agree, what's the point?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^^^ ..... not true that there's no gain. I agree with modifying the inlet to get the larger diameter, but the OEM mid-pipe is the largest restriction in the stock setup. Also, the OEM pipe has a smaller pipe in the core that restricts even more. For a quiet performance upgrade, I recommend that the mid-pipe is upgraded and a 24-27" resonator is used along with a dynomax super-turbo muffler (OEM type with internal guide vanes) with the inlet sized to match the upgraded piping.