Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

why is a header the least popular mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Default why is a header the least popular mod?

im wondering this because ive noticed that the least popular mod seems to be a header, most people go with an intake or catback
even in import magazines, when they are testing mods
ive seen them run a civic on a dyno and add a cold air intake and catback, but they keep the stock header...
why is that?
many people dont seem to mod their header either, is it just not worth the money or are the power gains too small?

im considering getting a dc sports cermaic header soon
dc sports because i need to pass emissions and ceramic because they dont make stainless steel for my car...

Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: why is a header the least popular mod?

could be b/c some ppl plan on going turbo and they wouldn't wantto spend $250on something they would never use again... (that's my case) and it could also be that it's expensive and most ppl won't SEE the header so they don't put something other ppl won't notice....
those are just some random guesses.....

Old 06-24-2007, 11:01 PM

Iv wondered the same things. I think much has to do with how expensive they are. I know most people hold back and not shed all the money for a header until they have all other mods.
Iv wondered the same thing about Spark plugs, why do some people replace them and others dont? Coinscidence tht you have replaced spark plug, why?
I would replace mine if i knew more about them. I read yesturday tht it saves you $600 a month on gas, if gas was $3.60. Thats what sparked the thought on spark plugs

Old 06-24-2007, 11:43 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I dont think it is so much money considering how much the price of headers vary. I paid $177 for my header, when DC Sports sells the same header for $300 plus. Even so, both options are be cheaper than what my cat back cost. Like you mentioned, people may not do it b/c it doesnt get seen nor heard, but in my opinion I think its because to much labor is involved. People may seem somewhat freaked out actually getting into their engine bay and doing all sorts of things. But really, if you are wanting max power by bolt ons, there isnt really a point of an intake or catback b/c the header will still be a bottleneck allowing you to receive MINIMAL gains. There is one thing you need to remember though, that when you remove your oem manifold, the o2 sensor could be stuck, so you would have to end up paying $$ for a new one.

The only maintenance they require is tightening them up once every week for a few months.

All in all, why not save up and spend for some headers to get the most out of an intake and catback. I dont regret my headers one bit., though the gaskets were annoying to replace I like the look.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:49 PM

why do you have to keep tightening them up?
and how much does a new o2 sensor cost?

Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 AM

i didnt really know this was going on with people. maybe its because theres so many choices out there. i do a great deal of reading before i buy anything, but especially my header, it look me a while to decide. but i think a big reason is the sound. intakes and exhaust have an obvious difference once you install them. the header makes it overall louder, but nothing as "glamorous" as the intake sound or exhaust note. a lot of people just want their car to stand out -- whether its shiny altezza tail lights, or clean JDM styling (cough cough) but intake and exhaust, sound-wise at least, give people that instant gratification. ripping through the gears gives me my gratification.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Velocifero

intake and exhaust, sound-wise at least, give people that instant gratification. ripping through the gears gives me my gratification.
Nicely put lol. It would be a good end to an awesome speech.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Yep...pretty much.

When I get my turbo though...selling my intake and headers.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: thunder_x

why do you have to keep tightening them up?
and how much does a new o2 sensor cost?
O2 sensor: about $85-$120.00

Tightening: the reason you want to keep tightening them for about a month or so is because as the headers and bolts etc expand with heat and shrink with the cold it slowly works it's way into place and changes ever so slightly. by re-tightening the bolts it ensures that you have a good seal and a nice fit.

As for the headers question I think someone hit it on the head, anyone who is going to seriously tune usually gets a turbo and so headers are pointless, if they aren't going to seriously tune then they just want a nice sound and look so catback and intake are the goals... Headers are more for a N/A build and few people do that anymore...

Old 06-27-2007, 11:36 AM

Ballin'

Quick Reply: why is a header the least popular mod?