New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2000 honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Default 2000 honda accord

I have a 2000 honda accord 3.0l v6 vtec sohc
engine has 116,000 miles on it. system tuned at 100,000 milse, the enging still puts forth all of the vtec engine traits.
I would like to upgrade the enigine perfomance, i am a complete rookie in terms of the knowledge of what is required
my plan is to transform my sleepy four door sedan in a real "sleeper", if you catch my drift

I have some basic questions and i hope that some of you can help me out.

1. With this many miles on the engine, is it worth upgrading.

2. What king of performance upgrades are avialable for the 3.0 v6 vtec sohc engine. Turbo kits?, intercoolers? racing chips?

3. Does anyone know the base horspower and what are the horspower gains i can expect, depending on the upgrades perfomed.

4 approx cost to buy the parts and have someone install.

many many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Default RE: 2000 honda accord

Okay I got your email and am ready to put forth my two cents.

1.) Most honda engines run a very long time so I wouldn't worry about that yet. (My accord has only about 75,000 you got up there fast)
2.) Lots are available for this car. Whenever you want a part just google it and you will find out if they make it or not. I ahve seen some superchargers but no turbos but I ahve not looked very long
3.)220 bhp and when you are jsut starting out with your headers/intake/exhaust you will not see much hp but you will likely feel a perfromance boost, because while it might not be increasing hp it is opening up the engine more. But once you put down the base you really don't get that much hp for your money unless you go with fi
4.)All parts have different prices. Once you decide on a part that you want google it and you will find it at its best price. Or go to ebay but beware of knockoffs. Installation is very different and is found out by jsut calling up a shop but you will want to install everything that you can. I think that saying that you installed it yourself as 5 hp no matter what. Even if you install a stereo

Hope that helps some.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:46 PM

I really appriciate the feedback, i drive a lot back and forth to work, 85 highway miles a day
so i get the opppertunity to open it up a little.

so far in my research i have only seen a super charger kit mylself, claiming to add 40 to 50 horses
for about 4 large ones.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:37 AM

Well the help was no problem. I am officially welcoming you to the site and hope you stick around a while. Even the stock v6 00 accord that we ahve now is no slouch. That thing is pretty fast especially from a rolling start.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000Ex

Well the help was no problem. I am officially welcoming you to the site and hope you stick around a while. Even the stock v6 00 accord that we ahve now is no slouch. That thing is pretty fast especially from a rolling start.

I second that. I would also like to suggest that if you are going to do some forced induction, you shouldnt look into a big turbo. I would suggest a supercharger

Old 05-02-2005, 02:43 PM

Trying to turbo the 6th Gen V6 would be pricey, because it'd require custom manifolds, downpipes and piping. Then you'd need the EMS which is $1400 w/o wideband. The Comptech is the most reasonable. Approx. $3800 and approx. $1000 in installtion cost, depending your location. It's good for at or near 300whp coupled with minor bolt-ons. www.comptechusa.com they have the dyno plot there. A guy in Chicago just broke into the 13's with the kit (13.98 at 101) and some other mod's.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 PM

hey 2000ex 6th gen and remington.

all great info you guys, that comptech link was the real deal

200ex man i live the vtec, today im cruising at 80 ont he highway, pushed it down a little and i was at 110 withou too much trouble,
so when your rolling and you ouch it it is there no doubt, even with 116k on it. vtec not so great from the standing start though,
however doese a switch to a manual clutch not help out there.

based on what i have seen and heard thus far i favour the supercharger idea once i have my shocks changed.

i beleive i have to go with adjustable in case i go bodk kit later and need to raise or lowere the car.

whos got the good on perfomance suspension then, i saw a kit that coems with a coil as well, pricey but pronbly very good!!!

performance brakes needed also i imagine.

you gus have pictures of you rides

tks for all the help

cheers

Old 05-02-2005, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: 6thgen

Trying to turbo the 6th Gen V6 would be pricey, because it'd require custom manifolds, downpipes and piping. Then you'd need the EMS which is $1400 w/o wideband. The Comptech is the most reasonable. Approx. $3800 and approx. $1000 in installtion cost, depending your location. It's good for at or near 300whp coupled with minor bolt-ons. www.comptechusa.com they have the dyno plot there. A guy in Chicago just broke into the 13's with the kit (13.98 at 101) and some other mod's.
I was only mentioning the SC because they dont put out the PSI levels a turbo is capable of... and an engine with close to high mileage doesnt need huge pressure inside of it. Turbos are also a pain in the *** to get in there and their dependability isnt as good a SC. But the right turbo can double power without a doubt.

And about the kit coils. It like this: the more you pay the better the product, like most sayings this one is true.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:43 AM

I hope you replaced timing belt on that

Old 05-03-2005, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Timing belt and the water pump would be a wise decision to replace with that amount of miles...

WheelBrokerAng

Quick Reply: 2000 honda accord