New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Another newb

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Another newb

How's it going guys? I recently picked up a '91 Accord with 170K that needs a new valve cover gasket (fixin that this weekend) and a few minor things here and there. Reason I bought it is I wanted something more reliable, 4dr, and for the better gas mileage; I have a kid on the way, so I'm looking to get rid of my Camaro and use the Honda as the daily. No plans for mods or anything like that, just keeping it a reliable, dependable car to get us from A to B. Anything I should watch out for? I noticed a small rust hole above the trunk, but below the rear windshield; any easy way to go about fixing that?

Few notes about my current car: It's a 1997 V6 Camaro with a M5 manual trans. It was (and still is) my daily, and I deliver pizzas in it :P I've owned it for nearly 4 years and 100K miles . I spun a bearing on the original motor at 100K, and replaced it; while it was out, I rebuilt the top end, ported the intake manifolds, removed the balance shaft, put in a decent (still street friendly) cam, replaced the timing chain, and just cleaned it all up. It has full boltons including Pacesetter headers, 3" Hooker Aerochamber exhaust, lightweight driveshaft, posi rear with 3.73 gears, cold air intake, short throw shifter, etc etc. About the only thing left to do to this V6 was heads, and I was planning on doing them to the baby came around :P. I tuned it myself and it put out 235rwhp on a Mustang Dyno; I have nitrous for it, and have hooked it up, but never bit the bullet and sprayed it. I was looking at doing a 100 shot . On motor, it should be a 13 sec car, but I can't seem to get it to hook worth **** (best 60' was 2.3, IIRC), and the spray should have gotten me close to 12's . If you can't tell, I know my way around a motor pretty well (I'm not top mechanic, but I make do); my family all races (dad has a 87 Camaro, Uncle has a 88 Malibu, other uncle has a 80's Mustang, friends all have cars :P) so I'm going to miss that when I get rid of the Camaro. But, plans are to replace it in a few years....but not with another V6

Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Welcome, that's good mileage for that year! I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it I've heard many good things about the 3rd gen. Haven't driven one myself so that's about all I can tell you about it.

My dad also had a camaro back in the day, he sold it to get a pathfinder as a family vehicle. I was young though, so I only briefly remember it, but what I do remember is that when we took it to get washed the water spray would somehow leak through the doors and inside the car lol have you had that problem at all?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by DSeng13
Welcome, that's good mileage for that year! I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it I've heard many good things about the 3rd gen. Haven't driven one myself so that's about all I can tell you about it.

My dad also had a camaro back in the day, he sold it to get a pathfinder as a family vehicle. I was young though, so I only briefly remember it, but what I do remember is that when we took it to get washed the water spray would somehow leak through the doors and inside the car lol have you had that problem at all?

Not so much; There is a slight gap between the window and weatherstripping, but only if you aim it right at it will it spray through. I bet if he had adjusted the windows he could have fixed it (10+ points of adjustment, IIRC)

Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member

Thank You for joining the HAf..
I liked your 1st post...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Another newb-0910poster_1280x960.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If the 8th digit of my VIN is 5, I have an EX model, correct? Trying to figure out exactly which one it is, as it doesn't say on the title and it's not badged on the car.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

The assignment of values to the 8th digit might vary between generations. It certainly varies by market.

Go to ahm-ownerlink dot com & register with the whole VIN. That'll tell you for sure; it'll even tell you paint & interior colors & probably even stereo security code.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The assignment of values to the 8th digit might vary between generations. It certainly varies by market.

Go to ahm-ownerlink dot com & register with the whole VIN. That'll tell you for sure; it'll even tell you paint & interior colors & probably even stereo security code.

Thank you . It's just an LX according to that site.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Thumbs up Welcome to the HAf

Thank You for joining the forums...

WheelBrokerAng