New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Finally, My Own Honda Accord!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Talking Finally, My Own Honda Accord!!!

Hey there!

Glad to have moved from a Buick Park Avenue forum, to this one, finally!

Been looking for desirable replacement for my rear-ended and totalled family vehicle, (the one referenced above), and I found it:

1996 Honda Accord DX 2.2L, 124K mi., 4dr, dk blue/green, COLD a/c, pw, pdl, cc, stereo cassette w/Alpine 6-disc CD player, solid, clean and responsive engine and transmission, excellent paint, excellent interior, excellent body integrity/trim/moldings/panels/lenses. A 1-owner Carfax Title record, and when the dealer got through detailing the engine bay for sale, like when I saw it, you just had to say, "Jeez....!" Virtually no corrosion of the engine accessory metals either, as they still shine, unlike others I've seen, so I think it had to be garaged for a NUMBER of years.

My most comparable vehicle was a 1992 Integra, that was a real pleasure to own, but not exactly the "family car" that I needed after a while, so in came the Buick PA. Now this: The best of both worlds! I've done as much as can be done repair-wise, without a compressor, or a lift, and I've saved a great deal up until now, and I KNOW that I'll continue to save, with all the numerous aftermarket parts that I can see are available online for this year/model/engine. So COOL!!!

Glad to be here, and I look forward to all of the learning and sharing that lay ahead!

Chuck

Old 12-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Administrator
Thumbs up Hi Chuck

Thank you for joining the HAF..Glad to have you as a New Member.

Attached Thumbnails Finally, My Own Honda Accord!!!-christmastree.jpg  
Old 12-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Welcome aboard.

Your car looks to be a fine car that will provide good service w/ proper maintenance.

One cautionary note. At your mileage/age the timing belt work should have been already performed. Many times good cars are sold because owners don't want to pay for the maintenance and are afraid to keep driving.

If you don't have positive evidence of this maintenance, you should have this work performed. Loss of timing belt will result in damage to cylinder head valves for sure and possibly piston damage requiring engine rebuild or replacement.

good luck

Old 12-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Supper Moderator

welcome enjoy your stay

Old 12-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Thank you, and I appreciate your advice about the necessary timing belt maintenance, due to earlier problem with an Integra (!!!!), tho I got lucky, with no valve damage at all.
If you know, please: Since I don't have knowledge or contact with previous, single owner about whether t.b.maintenance was done, is there a way to tell? I've done a little looking around at the bolts nearby, looking for "tool wear", as you would for fenders, etc., but still can't be sure. Thank you!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

I've changed some timing belts with 100k miles and they looked really REALLY good. So I would not rely on inspecting the belt for the "appearance" of age.
(I know those belts were old because I was the first & only owner)

On the rare chance that the previous owner had the timing belt replaced at a dealer, maybe they could look it up by VIN??

Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Default VIN check, yes

Thanks, JimBlake. I'll try the VIN check on stealership maintenance. Otherwise, Carfax shows one owner registration in Texas the entire time, only moving to College Station for several years, then it was traded in, or sold, once, which is when I got it last week. The overall condition of the vehicle is Excellent, without a doubt, and I'll try to post some pics soon.

Whomever owned and operated this vehicle over the last 14 years, took VERY good care of it, i.e., no oil, grease, or other stains on interior, other than minimal discoloration on floor mats (please!), no scratches, marring, or noticeable wear on any of the interior dash, trim, stereo, face plates, lenses, door panels, rear deck, or entire trunk interior other than the top of the steering wheel cover (please!), and it looks like the donut spare wasn't even used. And as mentioned before, I realize that the used car dealer cleaned and shined the engine compartment, but there is NO WAY that I could have made my Integra look this good, and even the underside looked ok (not polished).

I guess what I'm saying, is that if I can't absolutely verify that the timing belt has been changed already, from the obvious care the car has received all around in the past, I would bet that it HAS been changed.

My only complaint is that when I got it home and crawled under it, I saw a Pennzoil oil filter huggin' the engine, and I wasn't very impressed. On the other hand, I also found a business card under the spare tire from Jos A. Bank fine suit retailer, so I figure someone with money who doesn't change their own oil. I immediately drained/changed, and put Mobil 1 and a Fram XG in there, problem solved.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM

FYI - Dealer VIN check came up empty. Man said that after a number (?) of years, their database of warranty services isn't saved.

So, as others, and now he has stated, considering the excellent condition of the vehicle ( I'll post pics VERY SOON! ), that it's highly likely the timing belt, and probably the water pump have been serviced already. Paying around $500.00, "just to be sure" may not be necessary, tho I'll never live it down if I'm wrong. I'm very interested in identifying the single, previous registered owner, and would bet big bucks that it was a clean family, who sent their non-smoking son off to college in it. We'll see.