New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

First Time Honda Owner, Hoping My Luck Will Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default First Time Honda Owner, Hoping My Luck Will Change

I recently bought my first Honda a few days ago. It is a 1994 Honda Accord LX, 2.2L 5-speed. I got a great deal on it (I think!), because of a few issues that I have either fixed or am working on. It has been a VERY rough few weeks full of bad luck that hasn't quite finished running its course, I reckon. The original problems with the vehicle were:
Fuel gauge did not work
A/C did not work
Speedometer reads 20mph over (jumps to 20 when the car starts)
Not really having the power it should.

So far, I fixed the fuel gauge (one loose screw on the back of the instrument cluster), fixed the A/C (not enough freon to engage).

The speedometer seems like it will be an easy fix so it's not at the top of my list. The loss of power issue has shown itself and made it easy to figure out. However, I still haven't gotten it fixed. Saturday morning it died on me while driving. Blew the pump fuse. The pump works, and I'm almost certain it is the filter being totally clogged causing the pump to work harder and draw too much current. The first time, it started right back up after replacing the fuse. Yesterday, while driving on the interstate, I had to pull over, and when I did, it died again. This time, I replaced the fuse and tried to force the clog out. After about 4 fuses back-to-back, I finally accepted that it was time to put that new filter in... on the side of the interstate... in the rain.
Three hours later, the tow truck arrived because my girlfriend was tired of trying to help me. I easily got the line off the top of the filter, then removed the inlet hose from the rail completely so I could have some more room to work with. Once I got to the bottom side, it was a nightmare. Whoever worked on it last decided not to put the clamp bolt to the frame back in, so I couldn't get much leverage. It was also extremely painful trying to contort my arm up, over, down, and over again to reach the filter from under the car (with transfer trucks flying by about 5 feet away, spraying oily rainwater on my face as they passed). I was finally able to get a crowfoot on the 14mm nut on the fuel line after about an hour and a half, but I only had one extension, so I could only try to jam it where it wouldn't spin and turn the filter from the top side. That of course, did not work. So I got another crowfoot set for and extension and gave it another shot today after work. After a few hours I finally got it to turn, and with a lot more work, got it off. As soon as it started turning I realized why it was so difficult... The bottom of the filter was crushed on one side, so the nuts and line were at an angle, making it nearly impossible to get any of the tools on the filter, and probably the reason they couldn't bolt it to the frame. So, I got the new filter on and the bottom nut tightened, put the inlet host back on with the banjo bolt, and put the ring onto the end of the fuel rail. Then when I went to get the cap nut thing (not sure the proper term for it), it was not where I left it. After spending another hour searching for it, I had to give it up. Now I'm not sure what to do. I can't find one to buy online, and I don't know if there are any alternative options. On top of probably the most unlucky several weeks of my life, this has me feeling defeated and lost for a solution. I'm really hoping I can find some guidance on this, but I am holding out hope that this car will be one of my favorites that I've owned.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you're talking about the seal nut #25 in the picture? - part # 90201-PD1-000
Also the banjo washers #27 are part # 90428-PD6-003

Those are a couple dollars each from a Honda dealer. Normally shipping from on-line places cancels the lower price. Besides, some dealers will match price.

Attached Thumbnails First Time Honda Owner, Hoping My Luck Will Change-1994-fuel-pipes.gif  
Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Sounds like you're talking about the seal nut #25 in the picture? - part # 90201-PD1-000
Also the banjo washers #27 are part # 90428-PD6-003

Those are a couple dollars each from a Honda dealer. Normally shipping from on-line places cancels the lower price. Besides, some dealers will match price.
I barely made it to the pick a part before they closed and got one for 52 cents. It works like a charm. Oddly enough I just realized all that may have been unnecessary (FML, for real. If you only knew) because I just turned my wipers on and the fuel pump fuse blew. How does that even-?!?!?

i notices an odd wire previous owner added from terminal 7 of the (main?) relay under the dash to the weird slot #2 above the fuse panel. They also seem to have forgotten #4 because they’re labeled 1,2,3,5. sounds like a high school senior prank lol.