New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Fist Time Buyer: 09 Sonata Or 08 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 PM
sedanorbust
Unregistered
Default Fist Time Buyer: 09 Sonata Or 08 Accord?

I'm a first time car buyer, looking to purchase for long-term, and will pay it off (not interested in interest).

Looking at 09 Sonata Limited4 cyclor 08 Accord EX-L 4 cycl

The Sonata is REAL tempting (these days) ... even in theaura ofits perception, reliability, resale value, brand name, etc.

My budgetTTL is less than or equal to $25K,potentially adjustable for the higher pricedAccord. I'm trying to findreal good reasons to go with the Accord when a similarly/equally/better packaged Sonata can be had for less $$.

How would you decide? Or compare? I don't mind hearing both Accord and Sonata fanson a Honda forum. I'm doing the same thing on a Hyundai forum.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Fist Time Buyer: 09 Sonata Or 08 Accord?

Personally I would go for the Accord for the name and build quality... one of the mods on here has a Sonata and loves it, I forget who though.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 AM

I would go for the Accord. If and when you decide to sell/trade in you will get more money back.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Accord would have better reputation for lasting forever, but these daysthat's not an absolute certainty. It's getting hard to find a BAD car from anyone. Seems to me Hyundai has a pretty good warranty these days?

I'd spend a lot of time test-driving both. As much as I like Honda, our 2003 Accord has something about the position of the seat & shift lever that doesn't fit me perfectly. But that's just me, & I'm not the primary driver for that car. YMMV...

As much as I like our 2001 Saab, it's resale value plummets horribly. That might be the case with the Hyundai, but really it doesn't hurt you unless you're gonna plan on selling it in a couple years. If you keep it till the wheels fall off, resale value is just a theoretical thing. What matters is how long you can keep driving it.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM

As much as I have trash talked Hyundai in the past, they seem to be making some pretty attractive cars these days. I have not really researched anything for warranties or reliability, but as we all know, any car can be a lemon.
My advice to you would be to pick the one that is the most comfortable, and in your own opinion, the best looking car. All that really matters is how much you like the carThese days it also may be a good idea to research gas mileage as well.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:52 PM

I say go with the Accord, but I tend to be an extremely loyal buyer.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 PM

I bought the Accord.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:39 PM
sedanorbust
Unregistered

Yes, I think in the end it's going to be whatever I feel is the overall best deal. I haven't driven but sat in a 08 Accord. The headrest I feel is really angled forward. I must say also that I'm not really feeling the rear of the 08's. It's too curvy. I like the older styles. I thought a spoiler would help but it doesn't. It also doesn't have 60/40 rear split seat. And not to be biased, the 09 Sonata's exterior could be a little less bland, but it works.

Yeah, it's scary that any car can be a lemon. Hyundai, Honda, Mercedes, etc. I don't understand how some people can pay for a Mercedes and not have or expect that thing be top notch. My co-workerbought a certified, used E-class, they come to find out the trunk is leaking water, cause the seal is damaged. He brought it to get fixed, butit never gotresolved.WTF? If I'mpaying $$$ for a Mercedes I'm expecting even the repair shop to be top notch. But, it's just another car, another dealership, another repair shop ...

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

As much as I have trash talked Hyundai in the past, they seem to be making some pretty attractive cars these days. I have not really researched anything for warranties or reliability, but as we all know, any car can be a lemon.
My advice to you would be to pick the one that is the most comfortable, and in your own opinion, the best looking car. All that really matters is how much you like the carThese days it also may be a good idea to research gas mileage as well.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The carmakers can get away with more stuff because the consumers don't demand high quality, they settle for the half-a**ed junk that is out there now. Today's consumers would rather have their cars shiny and blinged out, rather than functional. The sad part is they never realize how much they actually pay in the end.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Has this post helped you make any decisions on what your going to buy?
I hope it has helped!

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]