New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Getting a 2006 Accord in ~Week: AT or MT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 AM
jorwex
Unregistered
Default Getting a 2006 Accord in ~Week: AT or MT?

I've been on my "first" car for as long as I've been driving (5-6 years) and the poor, maintenance-ridding 1994 Mazda is on its last leg.

I've been researching a new-to-me Accord for the last several months and have decided on a 2006 model. I had a friend who I was doing a school project with who has me mostly convinced to get a manual transmission.

In general, I have been led to believe (and this is as a driver, not from someone who is under-the-hood car savvy however with an engineering background) that they have better gas mileage, need less maintenance as there are fewer things to go wrong, and thus last longer.

My Mazda needs something fixed each week, so this is appealing to me. However, I think my friend is used to slightly older cars, so I wanted to get the opinions of Accord-afficionados such as the people on this board.

I forgot to mention that I'm currently learning how to drive stick. The task of learning to drive is a bit daunting, but I like the challenge and know that I'll get used to it. I'm a bit worried about beltway traffic, but my work commute actually has very little traffic. I live in a city, but my commute is all highway.

So would you say that if I have a high priority of little maintanence in my new car, that I should go manual? Or is the difference in the two transmissions almost merely preference with these newer cars? The gas mileage is a bonus for me, but 2-3 mpg won't finalize my decision. It's more about a more reliable car for me.

Thanks for the read. I really appreciate it. I have my eye on a certified used LX trim with 34k that was previously a lease vehicle that's ~$13k that I should jump on soon.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

My first car was an auto, my current car is a manual. Let's just say, I'm never going back.

Most people commute with their cars, I drive my car. Having a manual means less maintenance, longer lasting, and YOU get to control the drive! It can be a bit of an annoyance in stop-and-go traffic, but once you get used to it, it just feels natural.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM

Yea, Im driving an automatic, and I dont have enough money to get another car with a manual at the moment, but am content with my car. And let me tell you... manuals are fun to drive, and a lot of people dont know how to drive them. So I'd suggest going with a manual

-$tanley

Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Talking

After you learn to drive stick very well, then let us know what you did like the best:

WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM

first 2 cars were manual and my truck was an auto and then i got my accord in a manual and i will be forever manual until i become and then it will be a caddy,

Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
jorwex
Unregistered

Thanks for the responses and opinions.

So I know that the common belief is that manuals are more reliable. Does that hold true specifically with Accords?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by jorwex
Thanks for the responses and opinions.

So I know that the common belief is that manuals are more reliable. Does that hold true specifically with Accords?
Yes, yes it does.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 AM

not sure since my only auto was a chevy but dont they call the honda auto an autotragic?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:37 AM

Nice choice. You can ride an Accord til the wheels fall off. You could probably do better for $13,000. I bought my car for $11,889 and it had 45,696 miles on it. But yeah, manual transmissions are so much more fun, I think, than an automatic, and I've heard that the automatics in the 6th and 7th generation have had some problems. See if you can get an EX V6 6 speed, then you'd really be impressing your friends lol.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM

Did you already decide on Auto or Manual? Coupe or Sedan?

Quick Reply: Getting a 2006 Accord in ~Week: AT or MT?