New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hello Everyone!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 AM
bluroc
Unregistered
Default Hello Everyone!!

Hello all!I'm new Honda's and this forum. I have committed to a 97 Accord EX, which I will pick up Thursday. It has 168,000 miles, 2.2 VTEC, auto, power everything, seems to be in above average shape, including the origional owners manual and origional keys, etc. I also owna 94 Sentra SE-R (my son's ride)and a 1985 Iroc-Z Camaro (my baby). As you can probably tell, I am of the slightly older generation! This is going to be my wife's (mainly)and my daily driver. The car drives smooth and seems to run good. Is there anything in particular I need to look out for? I always look at forums for the best info because I know you all are like me; you drive them and you work on them for yourself.I look forward to chatting with all of you.Thanks!!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Default RE: Hello Everyone!!

Things to know about 94-97's.... Window regulators/motors like to go out on occasion, order lifetime warranty replacement from 1aauto.com, Make certain that the timing belt has been done fairly recently, should be done ever 90-110,000 miles depending on driving conditions... do the water pump, seals and bearings at the same time, those are the majore "common" things to watch for, other than that it's a GREAT car! Welcome aboard!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:32 PM
bluroc
Unregistered

Thanks, sir_nasty. Yes, I was going to at least look at the timing belt. I did know the water pump is located in there also, but what seals and bearings are you referring to?I did see a total timing 'kit' for sale somewhere that included the water pump and what I thought was a tensioner also. With it having 168,000 on it, I would hope this had been already done, but who knows and I'd rather be safe than sorry!!! All the windows went up and down well, so maybe they'll be ok for a while. I did not look real well at everything in the owners manual packet, maybe that will give me some insight on whether anythings been done like this or not. It looks like I will definately have to invest in at least a Haynes manual, unless if youcan suggesta better one. I have always done my own repairs and upgrades, but just not on a Honda. I had always heard they were very good, reliable cars and I hope this one will be. Thanksagain!!!

Old 07-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Look out for other people who will want to have your car!

Thank You for joining up with us here today..Good choices both in cars and your new forum HAF

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 PM

I just use the free manuals... I think they are the actual service manuals, the seals I was refering to are the shaft seals under the timing belt cover, and the timing belt drives the water pump so it's an easy replacement when doing the belt.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Old 07-15-2007, 11:03 AM
bluroc
Unregistered

Thanks guys I appreciate the welcomes and the info!Yes, since the car is in very good shape and, from the others I see that are priced considerably higher than this one, I am going to have to keep my eyes on it.I will definately do the timing belt / water pump right off the bat, don't want parts coming in contact that aren't intended to.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

great car and welcome. i wish i had never sold my 94 [:'(]