New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hi to all - did I get a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:50 AM
digconmd
Unregistered
Default Hi to all - did I get a good deal?

Hi all:
I just bought a 1997 Accord EX from a local used car dealer. It seems to be in real good shape - has about 140,000 miles on it - nice body - no rust - just a few stone chips. Supposed to pick it up Monday.
It's got a high spoiler on it - about 6" high - never saw one like it before. Had my mechanic give it the once over and he said it looks pretty good - never been in an accident etc. Paid $4750.00 US for it. Do you guys think this sounds reasonable or did I get ripped?
I've heard that these things will go 400,000 miles without breathing hard as long as the routine maintenance gets done.
Question about the radio antenna - where is it??? This car has a little T-bar antenna that is just sitting on the rearview mirror. It comes from a wire coming out of the top edge of the windshield - obviously not the factory antenna. Dealer said it looked like a remote starter antenna but he wasn't sure.
Any comments appreciated. Looking forward to participating in the forums. Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3806/CD5DFC5F731247A3BD289EB4559DD95A.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Hi to all - did I get a good deal?

Hello New Member, Thank You for joining up with us..
Glad to have you with us..

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 04-30-2006, 11:46 AM

Yeah if you trust your mechanic to be truthfull then it sounds good to me!! welcome to the forums.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:25 PM

EEEK at the spoiler... those are signs that the car was probably dogged around... check the engine for signs of modification (u know crappy intakes and maby homemade performance mods... ) does it have a ricy exaust on it... i see the little tip... lets see what else... if its a manual pull the shift boot and check and see if theres any damage around there... kids will show off and slam there car into gear... if its a auto... i realy dunno... check inside the wheel wells and look for shredded rubber... (i used to dragrace my old car and i would have to clean the burnt rubber out regularly...) do u know anything about the age/sex of the last owner... and if the dealer says it was a old lady... just walk away... cuz that was no old ladys car get a carfax done on it... and take it to a body shop not just a mechanic... they have lights that can tell the difference between stock paint and aftermarket paint... (the paint proccess on a stock car is alot like powdercoating and the aftermarket is just spray on...) o and look for anything that says type R and BURN IT!

Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 AM

The antenna used to be on the rear left fender where the prvious owner / clown installed that beautiful wing. It is more then likely that the attractivley woven wire along the windshield frame is a coathanger type makeshift antenna... Good luck!!

Old 05-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Banned

legionofone, don't stereotype. The car looks fine from the picture. My first Accord was owned by a Farmer, in his 50's and he had a spoiler on the rear, granted not quite as tall as this one but about 4" at least. He had it fitted because he probably did not like the bootline (or trunkline) profile.

This spoiler looks like the (UK version at least) of the Type R.

digconmd, looks like you have bought a good car. Take care and enjoy.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:09 AM

The antenna on my 96 accord is made of the same electrical material as the defroster element. It looks just like the defroster lines, it's just all the way at the top of the rear glass. I think that's where your antenna is too. You'll see some seperate lines on the glass and those make up the antenna. Kind of a cool idea if you ask me...

I remember asking the same question when I got my car. "Where's the antenna?!?" and "Why is my radio recpetion coming in so well?!"

Old 05-16-2006, 02:56 PM

The T shaped antenna in the front windshield is for the auto start for a after market alarm.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM

the antenna question is funny... I asked the same one on my 94 ex only to have someone point out that it was in the rear windsheild... *L*