New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hi everyone

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Default Hi everyone

Just purchased a used 1996 black coupe automatic. Already getting used to the differences in this compared to other cars I've owned. Very nice riding car.

Biggest issue for me, and not sure what this might stem from, is on take off from dead stop, at 2400 to 3100 rpm, and most noticeably in first gear, there is a vibrations/slight shudder. First impressions were sounded like a harmonic resonance in the exhaust somewhere. Almost sounds like a loud air intake noise, but I don't think it is. Just the similarity. Might not do anything about this at all as it does not appear to affect drivability.

This is the oldest used car I have ever purchased, and one with the highest miles, too. But it has so far impressed me with its composure. I just need to clean up the engine bay, which is filthy. And I thought about using some sea foam preemptively, as a precaution. So, if anyone has any seafoam dos and don'ts, I'd gladly welcome those.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome "Cd" and thanks for joining

The new member area isn't really the place for General Tech stuff.....I'll only ask a few questions and offer a bit of advise, from there you'll need to post in the proper section. If/when you post please include the answers to the questions.

Does the vibration ONLY happen in first gear? Does it only happen from a dead stop,,,,,slow down by letting off the gas (no brakes) till the car almost stops and then put it in first and take off again.

Is this an EX with vtec?

Have you taken it to someplace like autozone and have them scan for stored codes?

Seafoam, just follow the directions on the can and you will be fine.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks. Yeah, sorry, I just wanted to say something more than "HI"...

I took better notice since posting and it seems to arise at about 1800 - 2100 rpms. Poor memory I guess.

Seems in any gear.

Either up or down RPMs as long as it passes through that range, there is a rumble/vibration/noise. I got under the car a bit and looked at the exhaust, and it looks very good, like a recent-ish repair from cat back.

In general, it's a noise right now and unless ignoring it will cause more harm later, I'm ok. It's essentially my son's first car, in effect. And it's quite nice for anyone's first, imo.

I have not scanned for codes, nor is the maintenance or check engine lights on.

I think I would like to take it to get an oil change. And think a transmission flush/fill might be wise, too. Any advice along those lines would be great.

Not sure of the service/repair history, but I wonder if 170k miles I should worry about timing belt/chain or any other thing? Honda dealerships preferred/avoided? Or independent? Any good resource of independent Honda service providers?

Yes, it's an EX Coupe with the 4 cylinder VTEC. Seems to run fairly well. Little to no smoke at tailpipe on startup. Upshifts are more crisp/sudden/sharp than other cars I've owned. But not unnervingly so. I think I'm just getting used to the character of the car. Drivability is great, overall.

Hopefully I'll find time this weekend to sea foam, and steam clean the engine.

If you need/want to move this thread to the proper technical forum, I will understand!

Thanks much!

Names is James!

Originally Posted by poorman212
Welcome "Cd" and thanks for joining

The new member area isn't really the place for General Tech stuff.....I'll only ask a few questions and offer a bit of advise, from there you'll need to post in the proper section. If/when you post please include the answers to the questions.

Does the vibration ONLY happen in first gear? Does it only happen from a dead stop,,,,,slow down by letting off the gas (no brakes) till the car almost stops and then put it in first and take off again.

Is this an EX with vtec?

Have you taken it to someplace like autozione and have them scan for stored codes?

Seafoam, just follow the directions on the can and you will be fine.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Well, in that rpm range.....the EGR chamber being clogged is where I would start.....in gen tech, there is a "sticky" at the top - Common DIY Threads. In there, there is a "how to".

Trans - PLEASE do not do a "power flush"....a simple drain and fill with Honda trans fluid is all I would do. It is simple to do, if you can change engine oil, you can change the trans fluid.

At 170K and not sure if the timing belt has been done.....I would do this as soon as possible.....again in Gen Tech there is a ton of information on doing this if you decide to do it.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 PM

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Administrator
Talking

Hi and welcome to the forums..

Your name wont easily be forgotten- only the spelling of it..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images