New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

JAFL (Just Another Forum Lurker)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Default JAFL (Just Another Forum Lurker)

Hey, All. Bought a 2001 Honda Accord coupe about a month ago and I've been mining this site for advice and information about how to make sure everything was up to snuff. I figured I'd pop up, introduce myself and say "thanks" to the admins and members who provide this amazing archive of helpful information for those of us who know just enough to be dangerous.

So far, I'm very happy with the car. It is much roomier than I expected to find in a coupe (my 6'+ teenager can sit comfortably in the back seat) and the drive train is surprisingly smooth/trouble free at 200K miles.

I've owned several Hondas in the past. This is the first one to have 4 wheels. I'm curious to see if the cars quality and longevity is comparable to the Bikes'.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:01 AM

Here's a picture of the car in question.

Attached Thumbnails JAFL (Just Another Forum Lurker)-101_0042.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome and thank you for joining. Also thanks for the kind words

I've had an Accord in my driveway since ~1990. Been happy with all of the one's I've owned. Take care of the maint items and it will last a long time.

What part of NC are you from?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 AM

I'm in the RTP area. Moved out here from California eight years ago.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

So you are not too far away. I'm just north of Wake Forest, across the county line in Franklin county. I work in the Capitol Blvd - US1/Millbrook area.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 AM

I'm on the other side of the triangle near Hillsborough. I work in the Treyburn area.

I had a shudder at ~60MPH no matter which gear I was in. I was also having trouble getting the car into first gear when it was cold. So, this weekend I replaced the CV shafts. In doing so, I drained the gearbox and replaced what was probably heavy weight gear oil with the Honda manual transmission oil. ($12/qt thank you very much!) Both problems are now fixed but when I pulled the fill plug, about half a qt of that gear oil came out of it. I looked all over the engine and couldn't find a place to fill the transmission other than the fill port. So how did it get over-filled?

Could someone have pulled the shift lever out and filled the gear box from there? Is there any way oil could get from the engine into the gearbox?

Very confused.

Changing the CV shafts was easy. Taking apart the suspension so I could change the CV shafts... not so easy.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Can't think of a reasonable way for engine oil to get into the gearbox. The empty bellhousing is between them. But you can overfill the gearbox with the fill port, by jacking up the car on an angle. There's also a vent port somewhere up top where the shift cables attach. Or maybe it wasn't level when you opened it.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with Jim....if the last person jacked the car up from the pass side only and filled it while still on the jack/stand....there you go.

On the older ones (4th and 5th gens) there is another plug some will use that is the wrong one and over fill it but not so on the 6th gens.

Attached Thumbnails JAFL (Just Another Forum Lurker)-6th-gen-manual-trans-fill-plug.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 01:20 PM

OK, if the last guy filled it while only having the right side jacked up, I can see how it would be over-filled.

I just had nightmare scenarios running through my head of loose shift-lever linkages and mysterious (read expensive) leaking passages between the motor and the gearbox. Good to know there's a simple explanation that allows me to sleep easy.

Thanks, guys.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Besides, I don't see any real bad consequence of overfilling a manual gearbox. Extra drag because more gears are really submerged, but that's MPG not damage. And having an extra half-quart is a long way from being completely filled with liquid.

Quick Reply: JAFL (Just Another Forum Lurker)