New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Just bought an '04 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Default Just bought an '04 Accord EX

Hey Guys,

I'm new to these forums and had a few questions.

I just bought a used Honda Accord '04 EX with a 176K miles for $4500. Wanted to know if the price is right.

Secondly, there is no repair records of any sort. I bought it from a third party so don't know who the owner was or where he/she was from.

All I know was the last oil change was done at a 174k.

The car drives okay, it's got 20" wheels so the ride is a bit rough and I suspect its because of the non-stock wheels/tires.

However, other than that the car is smooth, no lights nothing and everything functions.

Can you guys recommend services I should get done? Specific checkups? Etc... Please let me know as much as possible.

Thanks,
SlickAccord

Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

The maintenance schedule is part of the owner's manual. I've attached the normal schedule for a 4 cylinder. (Is your EX the 4 or 6 cylinder?)

If the car is a 4 cylinder, it has the timing chain and under normal conditions, does not require replacement.

6 cylinder has the timing belt, which requires change at recommended intervals.

Both 4 and 6 cylinders have a drive belt (aka serpentine belt).

If you don't know what previous maintenance was done, you might want to do some for piece of mind. But, you can do some visual inspections like check the air filter, the pollen filter (behind glove compartment), if it is an automatic (what color is the fluid), how does the brake fluid look, etc.

Check the condition of the drive belt. Look for obvious damage to the belt. A few cracks on the rib side of the belt is okay; but, a lot and it probably should be replaced. The auto-tensioner for the belt has a gauge, check the position of the gauge with the lines. Then start the car, does the pointer move around when the car is on; if it moves around, the auto-tensioner may need to be replaced and the belt.

If you have an automatic transmission, I would recommend doing a drain and fill. Use genuine Honda ATF. DW-1 is Honda newest ATF fluid and is synthetic.

Attached Thumbnails Just bought an '04 Accord EX-4-cylinder-normal-maintenance-schedule.jpg   Just bought an '04 Accord EX-4-cylinder-normal-maintenance-schedule-contd.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Talking

Thank You Redbull for that informative post and Thank You New Member for joining the HAF..
Have a great time in here and remember..if you add something in the forums..make sure your information is correct.
Other members are counting on correct info..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Just bought an '04 Accord EX-detail_us.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by slickaccord
Hey Guys,

I'm new to these forums and had a few questions.

I just bought a used Honda Accord '04 EX with a 176K miles for $4500. Wanted to know if the price is right.

Secondly, there is no repair records of any sort. I bought it from a third party so don't know who the owner was or where he/she was from.

All I know was the last oil change was done at a 174k.

The car drives okay, it's got 20" wheels so the ride is a bit rough and I suspect its because of the non-stock wheels/tires.

However, other than that the car is smooth, no lights nothing and everything functions.

Can you guys recommend services I should get done? Specific checkups? Etc... Please let me know as much as possible.

Thanks,
SlickAccord
I think redbull gave you some good advice. I'd probably take it a step further, though, and assume that nothing has been done on schedule- change all the fluids (coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid), air filter, cabin air filter, etc, etc.

I personally would also take it to an experienced mechanic and have him/her give the car the once-over. I'd also ask for them to look for any signs that the car has been in an accident, or shows any other obvious signs of water damage, fire damage, etc.

Assuming that all checks out and you bring all the maintenance up to date, then drive, drive, drive, and enjoy your new car (and don't forget to post some photos!).