New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Long Time Accord Guy, But New Here

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Default Long Time Accord Guy, But New Here

Hey, folks!

My first accord was a very slick 1982 that changed my ideas about cars after growing up around 1960s Fords and Dodges. It was a *very* nice car, and our first with cloth seats. Most cars then had either plastic or leather, with expensive embroidered cloth on rides like Cadillacs and Lincolns. The simple cloth seats made summer drives less painful in shorts in the 100º+ temps where I grew up.

The thing got an incredible 40 mpg! I still marvel at that; 40...

It was attractive, too. I felt like a rich kid in it in my very poor neighborhood. It was three years old when we got it and looked brand new, in a pale, metallic blue.

I have been an Accord guy ever since.

Despite not owning a car at all for the six years I lived in NYC, then being a poverty stricken university student for a few more, I ended up with two craptacular cars that I hated.

Then in 1994 I finally got back into Accords. I had a new, gold '94 LX 5 speed that never had a problem. I had it until I bought my next one, which is a silver 2001 Value Package. I bought it used. It has had several big problems, but it still runs very strong. We put in a new radiator two years ago and a new tranny and got new paint last year.

One year ago my wife picked up a 2010 LX that we plain dislike. It is fine but had to have coil packs replaced and needed two new keys that kept draining the batteries to nothing. We have also hit stuff with it when parking or backing out. I am tall and cannot see well at all, and my wife flat out cannot see behind the car. It has something to do with the headrest and the rear pillar alignment, but there is a huge blind spot to the outside, and to the rear-center the car sticks out a lot farther than it looks.

Neither of us like it, though it is such a great car that neither of us really dislikes it either. But I have never been this *meh* about an Accord.

So I joined up this evening to get some advice and maybe become a regular, participating member of this community.

I will make another thread in the appropriate forum with my main questions, but I plan to purchase a new 2014 Accord Sport this week. And I *know* I will like that Accord a lot. It is beautiful and back down to the midsize vehicle that I want. And it has a backup camera, so maybe no more bumping stuff...

Looking forward to learning stuff and meeting people here.

Wade

Old 12-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome and thank you for joining HAF.

Sorry to hear about the issues on the '10 Accord....I too am thinking about a new Honda/Acura, just have not made up my mind......well I have, just need to get off my butt and get after it

Anyway....again, welcome to HAF.

PS - Yes, I know where that is in MS.....until a few years ago I lived in Memphis and traveled a ton in MS, AL, LA, ect.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the HAF...