New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Looking to purchase 2007

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Default Looking to purchase 2007

First off, nice to meet everyone. I would usually use the search (and will in good time) for this type of question, but I just don't have time between now and tomorrow evening when I am returning to the stealership.

I currently drive a lifted 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road. I love this truck more than any vehicle I have ever owned and never thought I would consider getting rid of it. However, when I bought this truck I was driving about 15 miles a day for work (so the 15 miles per gallon didn't hurt too bad). Now I have changed jobs and drive around 100 miles a day. I am looking for something a bit more fuel efficient. I have decided on a 4 cyl. 5 spd. Accord 4 door. I figure this should increase my average mpg by about 35 gallons a month, all while lowering my payment by over $100! I am going to use the money I save to buy a beater truck and that way I can have a car and a truck.

So, my question is this... what should I know before going into this? Any recurring problems that haven't been worked out? What are your favorite and least favorite things about this car? I have looked at Civic, Altima, Camry, Mazda6, Corolla, Impreza, Lancer, and Maxima and by far I enjoyed the Accord the most. It was the best bang for the buck, and felt to be put together better than the rest. I love the quiet, smooth ride. Best of all, I love how the 4 cylendar engine isn't as grossly underpowered as I thought it would be. I have no plans on modding this car, as all my additional funds will be going to a CJ-5 to convert it to a trail rig...

Anyways, on with the pointers!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Default RE: Looking to purchase 2007

You'ld be hard pressed to go wrong with the four banger and a stick shift, they are pretty bulletproof.Once broken in you can expect mid twenties in town and mid thirties on the highway on 87 octane. The only problem I'm aware of is finding a five speed, many dealers just don't stock them.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 AM

I hear you get 26 or 27 in town and 34 or so on the interstate if you drive it nicely. I am excited about this. As for finding a stick shift, I will be adament about this, so I'll have to look around/wait/maybe even order one... there is no way I could go for an automatic with a 4 cyl...

oh... and thanks for the reply- that does make me feel better about this. Although I did go out and look at my baby this morning... it sure is going to be hard to part with her. ( i know, it's sad that I love this truck this much.)

Old 04-25-2007, 11:08 AM

You can exceed 34 on the road if you drive for mileage. My personal best is 37.9 with the A/C off. Many hypermilers exceed 40 with the auto trans. Although I favor rowing the shifter don't disount the five speed auto. It actually turns fewer RPM's @ 70MPH than the five speed. I had to go through a half dozen dealerships to find a standard shift. One of them called me while the truck was unloading one and it was the color I wanted and an EX, which is exactly what I wanted. I drove it, went back, made the deal, and qualified for 2.9 APR Honda was offering. See if they have any special rates when it gets down to the nitty gritty.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Good choice going with the accord. It will definitely get you your money back just in the savings in the gas mileage alone. I am looking into a Tacoma, especially with the TRD package. How was the truck to ya? Sounds like you love it!

Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM

Thanks guys... How does this sound...

They are giving me a 2007 Honda Accord 4 Door SE 4 cyl. 5 spd. Manual. It has rims and a 6 disc changer. I have gotten them down to $18,499. The only thing I don't like is that it has 130 miles on it. Not much, but when I bought my truck it had 4 miles. Maybe I can get them to come down a bit for this.

They are going to give me $19,000 on my trade ( in which I have negative equity as I have only had it for 10 months).

I will see if they are doing any kind of special deals on APR, and if I can get 2.9 I will jump on it... What do you guys think. I know that this price is below invoice.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:31 PM

I don't know much about how new cars are priced but if that's below invoice then chances are it's a pretty good deal since new vehicles don't have a lot of markup.... the only thing I wanted to mention that some people with 06's complain about is the seat likes to attract lint, I don't know if the 07's have a different fabric or not, but if that issue does arise just lightly spray the seat with some starch or anti-static stuff and it helps a lot...

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me if they are giving you a decent price for your trade....

Old 04-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

I don't know much about how new cars are priced but if that's below invoice then chances are it's a pretty good deal since new vehicles don't have a lot of markup.... the only thing I wanted to mention that some people with 06's complain about is the seat likes to attract lint, I don't know if the 07's have a different fabric or not, but if that issue does arise just lightly spray the seat with some starch or anti-static stuff and it helps a lot...

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me if they are giving you a decent price for your trade....
They still attract lint in 07...and I thought I was just filthy.

That price is pretty good. I paid $700 more for an auto of the same vehicle back in december. Regarding the mileage, you wont see those numbers till you get at least 5k on it, if not 6-7k.

Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:48 PM

as for the mileage- that's fine. I wasn't getting 16 in my truck until it had about 8000 miles on it! My first three tanks I averaged 11 miles per gallon!!!! After my heart attack, it went up to about 15 and stayed there until 8000 miles, where it plained off at a stellar 16. And this is not including when I drive fast.

I think if I can get them up a tad on my trade in I will feel better. I really don't want to take more than a $5000 hit on this deal... but if I have to, I have to. But since I don't need it right now, I will let the two dealers fight it our for a week or so...

Having said all this- thanks for everyone's input! I spent entirely too much time on my Toyota forum for my truck, and it's good to find good people on this end to curb my addiction to that forum. Even though I will stay active since I know a lot about Tacomas and can be an assett to them, I am still excited about learning about this car and hopefully contributing in a positive way.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:03 PM

Mind if I ask what they are giving you for your car and what you owe on it?

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase 2007