New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

my first car...not looking to good from the start

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 AM
91f22accordphilly
Unregistered
Default my first car...not looking to good from the start

[size=3]hi everyone my name is will i have just purchased my car. its a 91 2dr at accord with an f22a that has 175,000 miles on it and a fuel pump that needs to be replaced.! i love hondas ive an enthusiast for years now and i finally have my own! i cant wait to rip this car open and replace all the old parts! i want to get a clutch first and this guy has a 90 4dr accord dx with a clutch who wants my auto. he has 144,000 on his car should i take it or just buy my own and if i bought my own then which tranny be best for my car? my friends keep telling me to swap heads with the h23 but i dont know yet i want to do teh internals first before i swap the motor so at least they will be reliable...but besides the point im new here and i be posting alot

Old 05-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Administrator
Default RE: my first car...not looking to good from the start

Well for starters ...welcome to the forums and thank you for joining.

Figure out what your going to start out doing for your ride 1st and then stick to it..this way you get on track for your purpose.

WheelbrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 91f22accordphilly

[size=3]hi everyone my name is will i have just purchased my car. its a 91 2dr at accord with an f22a that has 175,000 miles on it and a fuel pump that needs to be replaced.! i love hondas ive an enthusiast for years now and i finally have my own! i cant wait to rip this car open and replace all the old parts! i want to get a clutch first and this guy has a 90 4dr accord dx with a clutch who wants my auto. he has 144,000 on his car should i take it or just buy my own and if i bought my own then which tranny be best for my car? my friends keep telling me to swap heads with the h23 but i dont know yet i want to do teh internals first before i swap the motor so at least they will be reliable...but besides the point im new here and i be posting alot

welcome to HAF......what model is your car ?? dx, lx, ex, se ? Also why do you say you need to replace the fuel pump ?
if you are thinking to swap a 5sp tranny for the auto tranny that your car has now , it will take a bit more parts than just the tranny,, but i guess you can get all the parts from this guy with the 90 DX .and just so you know it is quite an elaborate task,,

anyho... you have come to the right place if help and suggestions is what you need ,, and again WELCOME

Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 AM

Welcome to the forums! Wow, a tranny swap is a pretty big project. You're going to need to do a lot of homework for that one!

I would get a game plan of what you want the car to achieve in the end. Do you want a turbo beast, or something that is all-motor. If you're going turbo, stick with the F head, otherwise the H head is better for all motor. You may just want to go with the H22 motor in there. Either way, sounds like you're up for some projects; and that's awesome

Old 06-01-2006, 03:14 AM
91f22accordphilly
Unregistered

well my car is a 1991 2dr honda accord ex auto, i got my fuel pump replaced because the guy i bought it from failed to mentioned that i was going bad and i needed to change it. so i went to start it up one day and it came on but once i took my foot off the gas it cut off??? i didnt know wut to do so i had my friend look at it and he thought it mite have been the fuel pump. called his friend who is a mechanic and he said it needed to be replaced so i went out and bought a walboro 190 for the 90-93 integra (i was told it was be the closet match) so i had him put it in and it runs nice...sort of. it has the sound of a half-way silenced muffler, and its an auto!!! i know its i a big task. im going to do the best i can to do wut i want with it. the kid was telling me if i want to go turbo the use the h23 head but i dont think the f22a is a bad engine, its just old and needs to be worked on. im not going to take the clutch from the other accord im going to buy my own...just not now, down the road but for the summer and intake,spark plugs, new battery,new cams,pulleys. u know just start building it back up. oh yeah and bigger brakes cause i dont have a.b.s and it knida sucks but more and more people keep saying its better so ill get bigger brakes. but i do wanna go turbo but i want my accord to be able to handle 25psi at the track and 10 daily cause this will be my car everyday car so...u know how that is. oh yea and if anyone knows where i can find a japanese bodykit for this car please let me know cause if i find one that will be the first purchase i make. an authentic one from japan!!

Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 AM

F motors make great turbo motors. You could swap and H head if you wanted to, but I wouldn't do it. I just think it's too much work. Remember that your intake air will be pressurized, so the added flow of the H wouldn't be as noticable on a turbo car. However, you could port the exhaust side of the F head to get it flowing more. That's where you'll notice the gains.

If you switch cams just keep your stock cam somewhere safe since you'll need it once you go turbo. If you run turbo with an aggressive N/A cam, your motor will really be a dog.

Good luck, and keep us posted with the turbo plans.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:17 PM
91f22accordphilly
Unregistered

what would be a good website to look for parts? my friends tell me ebay but i want authentic parts! i learned that from my friend and his 300tt! he lost his down pipe after racings one day cause he bought a cheap one and the bolts broke causing his exhaust to fall with it!! way to lose $$$$ lol but i dont wanna get a t3-t4 for my car, something else,quicker spool, less lag!! u know everyones dream!!!! but a website that has everything i would need or want for my accord so i can start working on it. my friends gonna put an intake (aem) and chip my ecu, and take off the govener,after that i want some flat black motegi's (16's). the guy doing my car has a stock 91 ls teg(exception to intake and exhaust) that destroys gsr motors with a fair amount of parts!!! he shifts at 9200!!! ridiculous i wanna shift at 9200!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM

I started off buying all my parts at jegs.com, but due to their lack of selection for accord parts I moved on to tasautoparts.com and some others. I actually just built my turbo kit from stuff off ebay. ebay can be a great place, but you really need to be careful about what you buy.

haha I don't see the accord motor revving that high any time soon! you'd have to do a fair amount of work even to get an h22a to go that high!

t3/t4 is great because it can support plenty of ponies, but like you said the lag is definetly there. I'm running a t3/t4 right now. The lag isn't actually a bad thing for gas milage since I have to get the motor to 3000 to spool.

Start small, learn all you can, and have fun...