New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to the forum - '96 Honda Accord ran out of oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Unhappy New to the forum - '96 Honda Accord ran out of oil

Hi everyone,

I have an automatic 1996 Honda Accord LX (don't know the engine size but it's not a V6) with about 200,000 miles on it. It's been a great car and I commute to and from school 5 days a week with it, about 120 miles a day. At the end of last week, I had extensive work done by a mechanic I've been taking my car to for 7ish years - timing belt & water pump replacement, radiator replacement, fixing some oil leaks, front brakes, roters - $1700 worth of work. On my way home from the mechanic (he's in another town, so I had driven ~50 miles), my car died in the middle lane of a highway during stop and go traffic. Once it was loaded onto the tow truck, we could clearly see the large puddle of oil in the highway and that the oil pan cap was missing - !!!

I just got off the phone with them and they admit that it was something they caused. They said the engine "has damage" and that they would be replacing the CAM free of charge for me and that this "should" repair the problem. Is there anything else I should ask about or be concerned about? Do you guys really think this will solve the problem or am I entering a whole world of future car issues? What would you do??

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds to me like you would be entering a whole world of trouble. If the car was run out of oil, and ran till it stopped the whole engine is probably trashed. I would see if it cranks over as often times without lubrication the pistons will actually sieze themselves to the cylinder walls.

I would tell them you want the engine replaced.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Good info from our Mr.Rice..he's giving you the best advice here...

Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Hm. Ok. They have the car and are working to replace the CAM now...do you think I should try to drive it and see how it's running once that's replaced or let them know right away that I have concerns about the engine as a whole?

Again - thanks for you help!