New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member in Missouri

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New member in Missouri

Hello all! Just recently bought the second Accord I've owned, and glad to find this site. I'll be doing some DIY work to save money, and making sure things are done right the first time. I've been a Honda customer since birth, it seems like, the first ATC I ever rode was a Honda 70 and it left an impression.

Over the years I've owned a 1967 Honda Trail 90, 1972 Honda Trail 90, 1976 Honda XR250 (with a 350 kit installed), 1984 Honda Accord 5 speed 4 door (I still miss that car), 1990 Honda Civic DX hatch that I bought new, 1971 Honda CB500Four, 1993 Integra 1.8L LS 5 speed that was featured in Kaminari's catalog for a number of years (they borrowed it as the development car for their body kit and wing for that model), 2003 Honda CR-V EX A/T, 2005 Honda CR-V SE A/T, and my grandparents had and cherished their 1971 Honda 600 "coupe" - which to this day I wish we would've kept in the family - but gpa got a good amount of cash for that little car when he sold it. Our "new addition" to the family is a 98 Honda Accord LX 2.3L A/T that I fell in love with when I drove it - despite some rather expensive issues I'll be working on.

I'm getting back to my wrenches due to cost and my lack of a real hobby, and having some time to save some cash - not to mention getting things done right. I'll jump in and help where I can, but I'm no master mechanic, I've been out of the game for too long. Hope to help, and glad I found this site! See you in the posts .

Last edited by HwyPilot; 03-15-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: forgot a Honda :-)
Old 03-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

The 6th gens (98-02) Accord's are nice - just take extra care of the trans, I'd do a drain and fill of the trans ~15K.

Thanks for joining

Old 03-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks PoorMan212, and thanks for your service - I'm an Army vet myself. The trans is actually one of the issues I'll be dealing with, and hoping for the best. Worst to worst, if it needs work I feel it'll be money well spent. I've always preferred manuals, however it's getting harder and harder to find this model without "mods" installed. Ours is nothing special, just a great car with a spotless interior, and everything the 6th gen had to offer. Wishing the best to you and yours.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

First I have to be clear - my avatar is a pic of my oldest son just after graduating from OCS USMC.

I'm guessing there is a thread floating around about the issues you are having with the trans, if I haven't ran across it yet and it turns out to be a "re-build/replace" tpye of thing - be sure the shop/yourself upgrades the valve body in the trans. The 6th gens had an issue in the valve body where a "valve" would stick - what would happen is below about 1,200 rpm the flow of trans fluid thru the OE cooler would be cut off.....just think of sitting in stop and go traffic and no cooling of the trans fluid, well it won't take long for the thing to cook itself to death.

I'm right there with you on finding a manual - love three pedals . I've been looking around for a new ride ('13 or newer) for the fleet and want a stick - can't hardly find anything I want in my price range - it has almost come down to getting a newer Pilot for road trips and me to give up on what I want . The wife will be happy with a '14 or newer Pilot.......I guess at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Take a look around and also use the search forum above to type in your questions..it works..

Welcome to the HAF.. WheelBrokerAng

Old 03-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Valve body!

Thanks for the tip on that, I'll look into that and ask my local shop. There's actually a few valve bodies out there that have "weird features". If I remember correctly, the valve body in our Durango allows the torque convertor to drain down when shut off - not good. That'll be one of the first things I change when I can get it into my garage/ storage unit/ warehouse . So far that trans is solid, but I always idle my vehicles for a few minutes (at least) prior to taking off. Congrats on your sons success, and I hope he has a great (and safe) career.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Again, getting to the valve body in one of these....well you are so far in you might as well re-build going back. Here is a link to a pretty good write up about the issue: Overheated Honda Converters/740 Codes - Sonnax

Transmission Report: Overheating Honda Converters, Vacuum Testing and More - Sonnax

If it is not that bad - acting up, many have driven the car with minor issues for years before anything goes "really bad". I'd take extra care of the trans fluid and would only use Honda Trans fluid in these....