New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member, New to Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Default New member, New to Accord

Hi all,

My name is Jeff, I have just picked up a 1990 Accord DX 5 spd. Paid 1000 CDN for it (Im in ottawa) It has 231,000 km (or about 145000 miles for you americans)

Overall the car seems great for the money. There is the common honda rust above the rear wheel wells. The underbody is great though. There is a bit of rust coming out from the doorguards at spots. The door handles dont like to retract on your own, after you open them, they manually need to be shut. The mirrors seem loose, which only makes it hard to find and keep them at the right location.

I have owned and loved a few 87 Integras (one of the original members at www.g1teg.org ) as well as a 91 civic. This is my first accord, AND my first rust repair job...

So thats the only real question i have now. I plan to cut the metal around the rust out, and fill/prime/sand/paint to match. Any tips, what to use as filler?

I dont plan on restoring this car, so welding in new panels isnt really an option financially, im still in school. Just need it to get me through the year, and i would like to make it as clean as i can for my use. I dont have my Digital camera right now, but ill get some pics up asap.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeff

BTW I love the forums!

Old 09-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Administrator
Default RE: New member, New to Accord

Hi Member.
Were happy that you like the forums and want to thank you for joining up with us all>

WheelbrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/F4C9AD546A8A4FE18C210E01344DB002.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 AM

If your going to fill in some decent size holes and this car only is going to last a little while then I would get fiberglass and do it that way. I once had a 86 chevy celebrity wagon and the bottoms of the doors had rusted out, removed the rust and took peices of fiber glass to cover the holes and then paint it. You couldn't really tell unless you got up close. Oh, I did but a thin layer of bondo over it to smooth it out.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 AM

it came to me in my sleep that i could use some spray insulation(expanding foam type) as my filler, and bondo over that. They arent really big holes, just too big i think to simply bondo overtop of. whadd'ya think?

thanks
Jeff

Old 09-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: g1teg
Overall the car seems great for the money. There is the common honda rust above the rear wheel wells. The underbody is great though. There is a bit of rust coming out from the doorguards at spots. The door handles dont like to retract on your own, after you open them, they m
I did not realise the wheel arch problem went that far back. My last two Accords have got the same problem, our 5th Gen Accord is different to the US one for sure, it shares the same mechanics as the Rover 600 which too had the wheel arch rot problem. I always assumed it was down to a bad UK design. Honda UK did a recall on the model to repair inner wheel arch liners, it made no difference to my 95 Accord and if the job was done on my 96 then it failed too.

I have repaired them once on each car but the 96 one is really bubbling now, this years winter and salt will finish it off. However I am looking to change the car now as these Hondas just keep going and I am getting bored!!!