New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member, new to honda, need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Question New member, new to honda, need help!!

Alright guys first off id like to thank everyone for being on this site and a part of sites like this, its helped a lot so far but, now im stuck so here's the deal.

Last week i bought a 92 accord lx 5 speed manual car ran fine i was told the blower motor did not work and a few minor things, i have an integra in which i had to replace the blower motor on so that was easy, other than that inner and outer doorhandles and a few minor things and oil change is all i knew, so after getting it legal i went to a friends and we decided we would teach him how to drive standard on a car that didn't have any after market parts in it, the accord being bone stock, we went on a back road to learn, well non the less that's when the problem started, the car died and i didn't know what happened it has 261,xxx miles on it so i thought the worst, checked the plugs oil was all over the boot on 3 and 4 cylinder for the plug wires, i knew the f series motors to be notorious for leaky valve cover gaskets so i simply thought maybe the oil was causing too much resistance for it to spark, so after finally getting home i found the timing belt broke while i was temporarily fixing the vcg with formagasket, so now for my questions.

first off is the f22a1 a zero tolerance motor, i have replaced the timing belt and believe i set everything correctly, however, my friend and i under the assumption it was simply not getting spark we continued to try starting it.

so now that the timing belt has been replaced ive driven it to work and a friends whose closer (being i dont know how much stress im putting the car under at the moment) but while i was driving, i noticed it doesn't respond the same way, the car hesitates up to 2500 rpm and bucks the whole time i cannot drive in 5th gear as i loos power nor can i go up steep hills in fear i will damage the car having to drive at a high rev range to make it up, so if anyone can tell me if i bent my valves if it is a zero tolerance motor or if its something as simple as cleaning the egr or being off by a tooth on timing.

also how do i make my signature on here i understand people need to know what your driving and id like to do my part. sorry for writing a book guys but i figured the more you know about the situation the easier and quicker we can figure this out.

thanks again

Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 AM

never mind the signature question i figured it out never saw the link on my phone

Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

OK, so the actual issues belong in the General Tech. area, but I'll say a few things...

"Zero-tolerance"?? The term I've used is interference. YES, it's an interference engine so it's likey (not certain) that you bent some valves. Compression test will tell you something.

Valve cover gasket set will come with seals for the sparkplug tubes, so that's the fix for oil in those tubes. There's a 2nd set of seals further down in the tubes, but you take off the rocker assembly & cam-bearing caps to get those seals. For YOU, you're probably gonna be thinking about getting a different head vs. rebuilding your head.

Normally I'd move a post like this over to Gen.Tech, but this time I won't. Probably best to gather your thoughts & post a new one over there.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Hello New Member..Thank You for joining the HAF...

Jim is one of our best information brokers in here and is very capable of giving you the correct information, which he already is doing at this time...so Listen To Him.

Again...Thanks for joining us.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Thank you, ill try a compression test and see how it goes any idea what a new head goes for new or low miles at least?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Don't forget to do as he mentioned which is to post in the correct forums for which you are questioning or telling us all something..

Helps every one know what to help you with..by the way...you might want to put your location in the correct area like I have mine..sometimes other members like to get ahold of each other to meet.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

I would think you could get a replacement head from a junkyard for $1-200 seeing you can normally get an entire engine in the $3-400 range.

Check out car-part.com to search your local scrap yards.