New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Owner of a 96 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jFlame
Also, how does the remote start work with a manual transmission? Do you have to leave it in neutral or what?
Yes or it will stall if you dont.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by live2rice
Yes or it will stall if you dont.
or worse and it will move forward and hit something.

I have auto start on my car with a manual transmission.

However I used to have an automatic transmission when I first installed the auto start.

Lucky for me I am the one who taught my girlfriend how to drive a 5 speed and only taught her to leave the car in neutral.

Once it gets a bit hotter out I am going to start using the auto start again to cool the car down before we drive it.

good job installing your own alarm, it wasn't too hard just like I said.

Did you use those wire taps like I suggested and if so I hope you wrapped them in black tape just to prevent them from popping open one day down the road.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I didn't use the tap splices. I ended up just shaving down to the wire with a utility knife and just wrapping the connecting wire into and around the other wire and then taping it all up.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM

I didn't use the tap splices. I ended up just shaving down to the wire with a utility knife and just wrapping the connecting wire into and around the other wire and then taping it all up.
Wow man that is a REALLY REALLY bad way of connecting the wires.

No way will that last like that.

Why didn't you just use the wire taps? The taps are looked down at by people in the industry but they are much much better then just wrapping the wire and taping it.

I highly recommend redoing your work.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM

did you at least use electrical tape in doing so?? it's the ghetto way of splicing, works I guess with ample electrical tape..

it may not last though..

oh and as for all those people saying buy an alarm system or security system or whatever, I say screw all that.. Get a sawed off shot gun, next time you hear someone breaking the windows on your car, rack and load..

i bet no one goin be stealin after that..

Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

How To: Properly Tap Into Wires - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums

^This is like how I did it, just without soldering. Is it really that bad? And yes I wrapped them good with electrical tape.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:29 PM

^This is like how I did it, just without soldering. Is it really that bad? And yes I wrapped them good with electrical tape.
yes I am familiar with that method and without the solder the connection does not stay tight and will cause a problem.

I have a large sand rail that was made in China. They used the same method you did. I ended up removing the whole harness and remaking it as in 2 areas it ended up shorting out and burning up chunks of wire.

Now that will not happen to you as you spliced into low current wires.

I guess the bottom line is you will find out, if one day your alarm starts giving you troubles it will be because of loose connections.

Anyway you still did a good job wiring in your own alarm system and saved a lot of money vs. paying a shop to do it for you.

Good Job!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 AM

well the thing is the solder, in this case, is what really keeps it together.. the electric tape is merely to just cover it up and not expose it to the elements..

but that said, my surround sound at home, i just taped it just like you did with electrical tape, no splice connecter or whatever those things are called.. It works just fine, but that's because it never moves, it stays still..

so as long as it's done nice and snug and the wiring doesn't move around much, it'll probably last a lifetime.. but if the wire moves around a lot and such, then it may pop off at some point.. it's an alarm wire, i'd leave it as is, i doubt it's gonna pop off..