New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Not an Accord owner - may become one again

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
That was the original clutch. Some of the people on here have many more miles out of the original clutch, not to mention the car itself. Check out the mileage post on here. I honestly believe that this car will outlast some of the newer Accords with the 1.5L turbos, especially since some of them are having problems with fuel getting into the oil. Happy Motoring!
Amazing that was the original clutch. I always wondered about the durability of a small engine configured to output a much higher horsepower than typical of it's displacement - such as turbos or supercharging. I didn't realize there's already some situations with the 1.5L turbo. Is there a high mileage topic on this forum? I'll look later.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Could well be. I am planning on getting over 300,000 miles out of my 2006 TL, I rather doubt a new Accord would ever get there without major engine work.

Regarding the oil dilution issue. I think the benefits of direct injection outweigh the drawbacks, however, there are some issues which still need to be dealt with, oil dilution and intake valve fouling to name just two.
Speaking of valves - the 2.3L engine doesn't need periodic valve adjustments, does it? I was also looking at a 1st gen Honda CR-V, the 2.0L required adjustments over time. I did it once with my lawn tractor engine last fall with a borrowed feeler gauge.

I wanted to change the title of this post, which is no longer accurate for me since I own an Accord again. I could not edit the title, only the post itself.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

The F23 engine has valve adjustments. I think the schedule calls for it "if they are making noises". Seems fishy to me, but after doing that to a number of engines, valve adjustments aren't very scary to me. I think my 95 Integra called for them every 30k miles or so.

With a set of feeler gauges, it's pretty likely you will measure them and they will not need adjustment.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stevek66
Speaking of valves - the 2.3L engine doesn't need periodic valve adjustments, does it? I was also looking at a 1st gen Honda CR-V, the 2.0L required adjustments over time. I did it once with my lawn tractor engine last fall with a borrowed feeler gauge.

I wanted to change the title of this post, which is no longer accurate for me since I own an Accord again. I could not edit the title, only the post itself.
The Owner's Manual of my 2001 Accord has a maintenance table; there is a line called, "Inspect valve clearance" with a tick-mark at 105,000 miles and a notation which says, "Adjust only if noisy".

Old 09-06-2018, 08:52 PM

So it sounds like valve adjustments -may- be necessary. I made note this is the F23 engine - the CR-V I test drove had I think the B20. The dealer that had the CR-V also said valve adjustments aren't mandatory, base it on the sound of the engine. I wonder if the '95 Integra had the B20 engine. A neighbor with an 2002 has a 2.0L.

I thought my 2002 Silverado held up very well (bought it this year) for an older vehicle, but this 1999 Accord is amazing so far. Everything works - the AC and even the power windows. It just doesn't look or feel like a 19 year old car. The interior areas that show expected wear like the armrest, but that's about it. Hondas have a reputation for being not so quiet according to Consumer Reports, and some 'consumer reviewers' within their publication.. I find this car to be quiet - absolutely quieter than my former Subaru Forester and somewhat quieter than my current truck and company minivan. I never had a remote trunk release until now - a nice touch.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, my 2001 Accord, currently up for sale by the way, is nearing the 200,000 mile mark and literally everything works except the in-dash 6-Disc CD changer, and just recently the fore-aft element of the power driver's seat. The car is quiet, comfortable, quick (the V6 is a sleeper, impressing even my younger brother who happens to be a VW fan and hasn't, until now at least, thought much of Japanese engines), and very easy to drive on long trips. That said, it hasn't exactly been cheap to maintain. I've had it for six years and 80,000 miles, and have needed to replace numerous sensors, the alternator, the brake lines (rust), the fuel tank (rust), much of the EVAP system (numerous leaks), most of the exhaust (rust), all of the brake calipers (frozen), rear wheel hubs (the bearings were done), and all hoses, belts, tensioners, and the water pump (scheduled maintenance).

To be quite honest, the only reason why I'm selling it is I just couldn't take driving a car with an automatic transmission any longer (hence the 2006 TL). I originally bought the car as a first car for our (then) 15-year old daughter, but she opted to not get her driver's license; when my son took my car to college, I started driving the Accord. Funny thing, the very first time I drove it I thought, "Geez, if this thing only had a manual transmission, it would be almost perfect."

Last edited by shipo; 09-06-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Old 09-08-2018, 12:00 PM

I do expect to encounter age related issues such as rust and other components just wearing out. I'm also in New England, that's also a factor. The V6 must feel powerful - to me the 2.3L 4 is fine. I found the EX has a power seat height adjustment that still works. I totally get the manual transmission attraction - glad I held out to find one. I'm kind of a manual transmission fanatic - had several vehicles that would typically not be associated with one. Those were a 1980 Ford Club Wagon (full size passenger van) with the 3.0L straight 6, 4-speed manual on the floor, a 1988 Ford Aerostar 3.0V6,5-speed manual (terrible in snow, RWD & hardly any weight in back) and a 1985 Dodge Caravan, 2.2L 4 with a 5-speed manual. Modern automatics, at least according to the EPA typically get better fuel economy than manuals. That's not the case with earlier Honda Accords, such as this generation - the manuals are rated slightly better, Of course that all depends how you drive.

I checked out the high mileage forum - very impressive numbers there (both years and miles). 250K miles is certainly a milestone.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the attraction of my TL is it is basically a tarted up Accord with a more powerful V6 and a 6-Speed manual (even built on the same assembly line side-by-side with the Accords of that era). My car is something of a sleeper in that the only external visual queue for identifying it as anything other than a bone stock TL is the four piston Brembo brake calipers hidden behind the front wheels.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:02 PM

Just looked at the 2006 Acura TL, I like those. That must go like heck with a 3.2 V6 and manual! I see it gets about the same mpg as my 1999 2.3L. Was going to get a spare key made, found out and was surprised a few days ago it does have a chip. My 2002 Silverado doesn't. The hardware store was out of blanks. I think a non-chip key could also be made that would just open the doors?

Brought some of my ex's mail from here to her place today. She loved the Accord - wanted to drive it. She did OK for not driving a standard for over 20 years. That's when we traded in the 1986 Accord she won from a TV station. I was looking for the oil filter on mine, I remember my brother in law showing me where it was on the '86 - my sister and he always had (still have) Honda Accords. He showed me you could reach in from above the engine on the firewall side and grasp the filter. Doesn't seem to be the case with the 2.3L. Couldn't see the oil pan drain plug either. Looks like a jack and jack stands may be required for an oil change - although I never jacked up the '86 to drain the oil. My son has a heavy duty floor jack and jack stands for his truck. He said just bring the Honda over which would be easier.

Quick Reply: Not an Accord owner - may become one again