New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Not an Accord owner - may become one again

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stevek66
Just looked at the 2006 Acura TL, I like those. That must go like heck with a 3.2 V6 and manual! I see it gets about the same mpg as my 1999 2.3L. Was going to get a spare key made, found out and was surprised a few days ago it does have a chip. My 2002 Silverado doesn't. The hardware store was out of blanks. I think a non-chip key could also be made that would just open the doors?

Brought some of my ex's mail from here to her place today. She loved the Accord - wanted to drive it. She did OK for not driving a standard for over 20 years. That's when we traded in the 1986 Accord she won from a TV station. I was looking for the oil filter on mine, I remember my brother in law showing me where it was on the '86 - my sister and he always had (still have) Honda Accords. He showed me you could reach in from above the engine on the firewall side and grasp the filter. Doesn't seem to be the case with the 2.3L. Couldn't see the oil pan drain plug either. Looks like a jack and jack stands may be required for an oil change - although I never jacked up the '86 to drain the oil. My son has a heavy duty floor jack and jack stands for his truck. He said just bring the Honda over which would be easier.
Yeah, the TL with the 6MT runs like a scalded dog, that and I've gotten in excess of 33 mpg on long trips, with the A/C running full-tilt no less.

Regarding oil changes, I use a set of ramps to get to the oil filter on the V6 cars (the filter is awkwardly placed), but I never-ever mess with the drain plugs. Years ago I bought an oil extractor and have changed my oil from above since the late 1990s (which was the last time I pulled a drain plug).