New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Thinking about buying a 99 4cyl 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
D0ughB0y
Unregistered
Default Thinking about buying a 99 4cyl 5spd

I've gota friend that is getting rid of a '99 4cyl, 5 spd. Black on black, power everything (including moonroof).CD, Air,semi-power seats. 200k miles. Brand new tires. The timing belt has been done (but don't know when). He's got a book of all of the reciepts with everything he's done to the car (oil changes, tires, brakes, etc).

The car runs strong, no smoke, the clutch doesn't seem to have any problems. No issues getting into or out of gears. It has a few of the usual dings and scratches that you'd expect from a 9 year old car.

I've been looking for something that will be reasonable to drive115 miles every day, getgood (30+) mpg, butisn't something I'd be ashamed to be seen in. This car seems like the answer to what I'm looking for.

Finally, the car is DIRT cheap... I spent more on the video card for my computer than I'm planning on spending on this car.

I know this is an accord owners forum, but I'm looking for some honest advice, comments, and conversation regarding the car. What's the goods, what is the bads?

I've heard bad things about the MPG, that the accords are pigs compared to the civics when it comes to gas mileage. Is that true? Would I be reasonable to think that I could get another 50k+ out of this car if I continue to maintain it like the previous owner did?

If you've gotten this far, cool. I look forward to hearing from you.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Default RE: Thinking about buying a 99 4cyl 5spd

You need to find out exactly when the timing belt, water pump, accessory belt(s), and other crtical parts were done. It they pass muster have the rest of the car inspected closely and make your decision. If it checks out well or can be repaired inexpensively I would think it a good buy especially since you hinted at a lowpurchase price.

If you have to put eight or nine hundred in it for repairs/preventive maintenancethat's a different story entirely. Accords are not gas hogs.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Accords are a lot bigger & heavier than Civics, so SURE they'll use more gas. Sitin the backseat of a Civic for a couple hours. That's your call, but size-for-size, Accords are certainly not gas hogs. Especially since it's a 5-speed.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:47 AM
D0ughB0y
Unregistered

If I have to pay 8-900 bucks for any repairs on the car, it will more than double the price of the car, but will most likley get me another year (couple) out of it; so while I'd be a little pissed; I'd still be into the car for less than 2 grand.

My current daily driver is an '04 Sebring 4cyl automaticthat I can get 32-34 mpg out of... all highway miles. I shouldbe able to get at least thattype ofgas mileage, no?

I'm not concerned with looks, with the back seat (no passengers), I've got anew truck thatI can drive insnow and forpleasure, I'm just looking for something that is going to last a while and take a bunch ofeasy highway miles with little fuss and sipping gas.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 AM

Less than a video card? If you don't buy it I want to.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 PM

My 2000 LX 5spd gets up to 35 mpg on the highway. I doubt civics get a whole heck of a lot better than that. On my last fillup I got 29.5 mpg on almost all city driving (only about 5 hwy miles every day.)
Definitely find out about the timing belt & water pump. But for that price, I would jump on it even if the timing belt & water pump need to be changed again soon.
The only issue i have with mine is the clock light bulb is burned out (notorious for happening in this generation accord). it only costs about $2 or so, but I have been too lazy to go get a new bulb and replace the old one.
Sometimes getting it in 1st gear or reverse I have to push and hold it towards the gear and slowly let the clutch out to get it in gear, but that is not a big problem.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Mileage: I got 34 mpg two tanks ago and 31 mpg my last tank, about 25% of that was city driving and 25% was fairly high rev driving and I got 300 miles squeezed into the first half of that tank.

I don't think I would be complaining about paying $2k total for a 1999 Accord EX, go to kbb.com and look up the book value on that, it's probably near $5k. If you baby and maintain it you will certainly get anoth 50k out of it, at least.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Sounds like a good deal..I have a 91 EX with almost 280k and my last Roadtrip i got 422miles on lil less then full tank soooooooo...I shall say buy it..ive had mine so far 8 months with NO Problems...

Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM

I plan on putting 500k on the 00LX. You should be able to get at least 300k out of that one if you maintain it properly. Buy it!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

ANY car from ANY brand that's got 200k miles might just get into some really expensive repairs. But still, that sounds like anoutstanding deal. Just be sureto do your due-diligence. Whether that's paying a local Honda-mechanic to do a real good inspection for mechanical problems or something like that...

Do you know your friend well enough that you'd be aware if he were actually having any specific problems with the car?

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 99 4cyl 5spd