New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Thinking about buying a 99 4cyl 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 PM
D0ughB0y
Unregistered
Default RE: Thinking about buying a 99 4cyl 5spd

My friend is actuallya middle man for the whole thing. Instead of trading the car in (they're giving him literally no money for it) he wants tosell itprivate party instead of 'giving it away'. That's where I come in.My friend has driven it and I trust hisjudgement. I'm going totake a look atitsoon (by the end of the weekend).

No leaks or mess under the hood, just usual road dust/grime from driving. No obvious evidence that the car was whacked from my friend looking at it. The clutch doesn'tslip when under moderate load in a high gear. The guy has everything documented with the car, the carfax is clean, and unless something is terribly wrong with it (when I drive it and take a look at it) it really sounds like a good deal.

I'm mechanically inclined and have put in hundreds of hours on 87-93 mustangs, a 71 nova, and various other motors, so I know a bit.I also have someone that works primarily on those cars who I can use if something goes wrong (and he'll treat me solid as far as cost).

I'm not going to be able to drive the sebring much more. I've got a backup car if something happens (03 Ranger FX4), so I'm not hard up; I just want something that does better than the 19mpg I get in the truck (and I've only got 30k on the odometer so I want to keep the miles down). I'll retire the truck as my weekend driver for hitting the beach and drive the accord until it dies or 2 years go by, whatever comes first.

What I'm hearing from everyone is that even if somethingmoderatelycostly happens, I really can't pass it up.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!