New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Want to be a new used Honda Accord owner.. what years are best and what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Default Want to be a new used Honda Accord owner.. what years are best and what to look for?

Well the gas prices are killin me and my 98 Chev 1500 Pickup truck. I want to keep my truck but I'd like to buy a used Honda Accord. My pop bought one new in 91 and I remember him saying how he loved it. I'd like to get one under 10K. I was wondering what years are best, what years are bad, what to look for when buying one. Also at what milage does anything fail? What's the trans good for and what's the engine good for milage wize? Also any certain older years get better milage then others? I'd like a nice lower mile one I can drive to work daily and on the weekends. Thanks for your help!!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Default RE: Want to be a new used Honda Accord owner.. what years are best and what to look for?

My 2000 LX 5spd manual trans 4cyl gets 30mpg on average in stop & go city driving and I have gotten 35mpg on the highway before.
You need to keep in mind: any 4cyl Accord before 2003 has a timing belt that needs to be changed on a regular basis (Every 105k milesfor 98-02 models and every 90k milesfor 1997 and older models.) It is smart to have the water pump changed when you get the timing belt changed as well - the wholeservice is pretty complicated and it can run anywhere from $300-$1300 (depending on your location.) If you have decent mechanical knowledge and the proper tools, you can DIY and save yourself some money.
The 1998-2002 models with automatic transmissions had terrible issues. I would never buy a 98-02 model with an automatic transmission.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Default RE: Want to be a new used Honda Accord owner.. what years are best and what to look for?

Thanks for your post! Just the information I was looking for! I'm looking on ebay, craigslist,and autotrader. Nowwhen I go to see these cars at least I can ask them some questions!! How about the 6 cyl Hondas Accords? How much difference in fuel milage and better or worse in general?

I also found a few Accords from around 1991-1995 How are the transmissions in those years? Thanks again for your input!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:34 PM

Well i have a 91 EX has 280k on it, Ive owned it since last Sept.with 0 problems..its a 5sp and everything is good there...i just pulled 2 mountain passes and many miles of freeway n got 422 miles off a tad under full tank..the CB7 (90-93) are good cars and resale is still good on them too i paid $1500 for mine and could resale it for $2500 to $3000 easy..Good luck shopping...Hope to see your new (used) Honda soon

Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM

I was leaning toward an automatic as sometimes stick can stink in city traffic and living in Philly I get stuck in stop and go a lot! But maybe I'll keep looking for the maual ones as well. Thanks for your input keep it coming! I did this last time I bought a car and I was very happy looking at them knowing what I was looking for/at! Don't worry I'll post some pics when I get it!

Let me ask you guys (and gals) this.. What do you think of this one I saw on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...:IT&ih=002

Kelly Blue Book says it's worth like $3600 to $3900. I'd like to spend under 5K and find something with low miles that's clean like this one. I just don't want to get one with that dangerous amount of low miles where everything is ready to break! Let me know what you think! Thanks again!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 PM

That 93 looks really nice...since it has low miles it was probably babied! it comes with a warranty..and a best offer..give them a best offer see what happens...you can't go wrong with that one...but im a fellow CB7 owner

Old 05-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Yea the more I look at that one the more I like it. It's local so I might go take a look at it this week. What do you think a fair offer would be on that car?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 PM

Well I got one! It's a 1997 Honda Accord EXwith 116K on it. Really reallyclean. It was up in the country and 2 olderwomen owned it in the past. The last owner just bought a new Toyota and I think the dealer offered her 1K on a trade so she kept it to sell private. I bought it for 3K. I think that was a good deal. The only issue is the ABS. This is why she priced it low. The light comes on from time to time and you hear like a clicking or buzzing sound. I guess I'll post more questions on that and how about getting it fixedin the correct area on the board here. I talked to my mech. and he said you just don't have ABS when the light is on. If that's all it is that don't bother me to much. It's got a new battery and rad. She also had the timing belt done around 90K so that's pretty new. (Thanks to thisforum I asked about the timing belt!)Ice cold AC. Alarm as well. Drives really smooth and quiet. V-Tec 4 cyl. so hopefully she is good on fuel! Fresh PA inspection.At least I have a year without putting anything into for that! Any other tips and pointers you have for mewould begreat for this year! I have a pile of **** oil change slips along with fresh brakes all theway around she did a few months back. She loved herHonda and took very good care of it from what it looks like! Just the one I was looking for! What do you guys and gals think?! I think I did good Here are some pics!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 PM

Don't look like my pics showed up [&:]You can follow this link for the pics! http://picasaweb.google.com/clearedi...22198477300066

Old 05-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: PhillyTurboSix

Well I got one! It's a 1997 Honda Accord EX with 116K on it. Really really clean. It was up in the country and 2 older women owned it in the past. The last owner just bought a new Toyota and I think the dealer offered her 1K on a trade so she kept it to sell private. I bought it for 3K. I think that was a good deal. The only issue is the ABS. This is why she priced it low. The light comes on from time to time and you hear like a clicking or buzzing sound. I guess I'll post more questions on that and how about getting it fixed in the correct area on the board here. I talked to my mech. and he said you just don't have ABS when the light is on. If that's all it is that don't bother me to much. It's got a new battery and rad. She also had the timing belt done around 90K so that's pretty new. (Thanks to this forum I asked about the timing belt!) Ice cold AC. Alarm as well. Drives really smooth and quiet. V-Tec 4 cyl. so hopefully she is good on fuel! Fresh PA inspection. At least I have a year without putting anything into for that! Any other tips and pointers you have for me would be great for this year! I have a pile of **** oil change slips along with fresh brakes all the way around she did a few months back. She loved her Honda and took very good care of it from what it looks like! Just the one I was looking for! What do you guys and gals think?! I think I did good Here are some pics!
It sounds like you scored a heck of a deal! When I was looking to buy a 5th gen Accord a month or two ago, 150k mile ones were going for $4.5k to $5k. Is it an automatic? The 5th generation is one of the most reliable generations of Accords out there.

Quick Reply: Want to be a new used Honda Accord owner.. what years are best and what to look for?