Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Any interest in a S/C for a K24A4? (03+ 4 cyl Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Default Any interest in a S/C for a K24A4? (03+ 4 cyl Accord)

I'm new in this forum, but not new to automobiles. My company is I.A.C.G (Independent Automotive Consultants group). I do tech response for a few internet automotive retailers. In my travels in helping people with their rides (55 DeSoto, 73 Countach, 67 Fiat Dino.. are just a few of the odd cars my clients have) I've come to find holes occasionally in the industry.

Well this is one of those holes. There is a supercharger kit from Jackson Racing that is designed for the K20 RSX engine, and from what I've heard it can be adapted to fit the K24A. That is all well and good if you want to spend many thousands of dollars, and add an intercooler, and do this, or do that... or cut this, or butcher that... If this is for you... then what I have in mind is NOT for you. Being a new owner to an 05 Accord cpe LX-SE, K24A with automatic, I find the power to be ok (it out accelerates some decent cars...), but I also found there are times when a bit more grunt would be very useful! I've spoken to a company who makes supercharger kits for other makes (Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai) and asked them if a 4~5 psi bolt on kit could be made SPECIFICALLY for the k24a4. I explained the room available, and he thinks it might be worthwhile to look into it, but as with any product, there needs to be demand for it. Now we aren't talking about adding 50, 75, 100 horsepower, I'm talking pumping the hp up to a low to mid 180 range, and hoping to bump the torque figure to nearly 200#/ft. Enough to make most any K24A4 owner feel good about his power, and yet not throw fuel economy out the window. To give you a better idea of what I'm talking about... her is a s/c kit for a Hyundai 2.0. There isn't much to this kit... Install is less then a weekend, and I know one owner who did it in 4 hours!

Sooo is their any interest? The Hyundai kit sells for just over $3000 ($3020 to be exact).

Old 08-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Default RE: Any interest in a S/C for a K24A4? (03+ 4 cyl Accord)

What will this do in regards to octane requirement? Also would it pass muster in states requiring annual vehilce inspections, exhaust sniffers to be precise?

Old 08-23-2006, 05:24 PM

All too soon as of yet.... BUT, they do have quite a few s/c kits that ARE CARB approved! They made the supercharger kits for the big Toyota 4 cylinder trucks, those were carb approved. They also make 3 kits for the V6 Tiburon, and 2 of those three kits are also CARB approved. Concerning minimum octane rating, again it is waaay to soon to know, but I'd see if it could be done using 89. Minimum on the K24A4 is 87. My goal in this is NOT to build your car to a massive point... my goal is to address a problem area and see if it can be remedied with little or no side effects! I don't want to have to use additives, or require engine mount changes, or snap driveshafts. I'm seeing there is some room for improving the power, and if done correctly there would be no need for additional upgrades.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:46 AM

It's hard to generate interest when a prototype has not yet been developed. Someone will have to take the plunge and report the facts from that (or several) installation(s).

Old 08-27-2006, 04:55 AM

thank you for your input. I do hear you about the lack of a prototype... I was hoping to see *IF* it would generate interest. From what I've been told so far... the K24A is used in a few other apllications too, so there is a supply of engines that could benefit from a bit more bottom end power. If I wasn't 900 miles away, I'd drop off my car for two weeks so they could do the engineering. I believe they (the S/C company) are interested... especially once he found out the engines(K24A) rotation is conventional and not reversed.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:58 AM

I have genuine interest in such a product. But at this stage it's asking a bit much....."we'll give you a discount to use your car as a test bed. Might need premium fuel, might not pass emmissions, might not meet our projected goals, and won't be CARB approved."

No thanks, I'd have to pass on this one. I like the idea very much but it is just in the thought stages with no hard facts to go on yet.